2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

9.5MPG Doing City OR Highway!! 5.9L

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:45 AM
Kaldir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Air filter is clean. All my tires are stock size, (according to what the in door sticker says) except its an LT (light truck). And I do all the math my self as far as MPG goes. And I am just gonna return that Accel coil because I didn't buy the adapter for it, which is another 25. Then I will use that $48 I get back and get the plugs, wires and cap from Summit racing which you can see with the link in my first post. I figure if I want to try and save mpg then I will replace those factory wires cap and rotor. That should help. I am going to fill up today so I will let you guys know how my SeaFoam treatment went. If this really was a farm truck, (Which I think it was because of all the Hay in the back) Then those injectors might have been dirty. :P And Jason.w, do you like the Volant CAI, see any improves in throttle responds? And did you get that 2nd scoop that goes down to the front bumper?

Old 12-30-2008, 11:37 AM
dnfd737
Veteran

"Are you going by what your overhead console says, or are you penciling it out yourself? Have you adjusted your speedo for the larger than stock tires? If not, your truck's readout is going by a smaller tire's diameter, which will tell you that you are doing more miles than you really are. "

Yes I do the math my self, as the truck does not have the over head computer read out. The computer was reset for the tire size and it matches my 2 other cars with in 1/10 of a mile door to door to my job. 54 miles away.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

Well just filled up and with the SeaFoam Treatment though the engine my MPG went from 9.5~ to 10.3

Old 02-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional

sea foam Rocks I use it in all my engines at least 3 times a years

Old 02-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

Yeah I love Seafoam, I always notice that product's in an older design can work better, like PBlaster.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional

Originally Posted by Kaldir
Yeah I love Seafoam, I always notice that product's in an older design can work better, like PBlaster.
What is that? thanks

Old 02-08-2009, 10:33 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaldir
And Jason.w, do you like the Volant CAI, see any improves in throttle responds? And did you get that 2nd scoop that goes down to the front bumper?
Yes, the throttle response increased. I had the drop-in K&N filter in the stock setup before this, and the Volant was a definite improvement. On top of that, you don't hear the intake at all (I'm assuming because its enclosed) unless you really wind up the engine.

I don't have the official 2nd scoop. I made my own. Went down to Menards, got some stiff but flexible tubing (whatever size fits the hole, I forget exactly) designed for rain gutters, and used some standard clamps to route it to the front the exact same way the official one would have. I just didn't feel I needed to spend $125+ on a hard plastic tube from Volant. Spent around $20 or less for the materials to do the exact same thing this way.

Like 01DodgeRam360 has commented before, I don't really notice the effect of the "2nd scoop" unless I'm at highway speed.

Ignore the cable ties holding the stupid rubber piece on the headlamp. The headlamps have been replaced. I really need to get some new pictures...

Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Erik Kuijvenhoven
Professional

Hey I see the msd ignition blaster does that give any more hp ??? and how does it hook up ? thanks for the info about the Intake Now I know what to buy

Quick Reply: 9.5MPG Doing City OR Highway!! 5.9L