2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake fluid flush procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Going to that "Trusty Mechanic" website is like taking repair advice from Click and Clack. Neither has a clue about cars, but since it's your wallet, do whatever the hell you want.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:29 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe you should watch the shop flush the fluid so next time you know how to do it.

My .02

Old 01-05-2009, 04:32 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Going to that "Trusty Mechanic" website is like taking repair advice from Click and Clack. Neither has a clue about cars, but since it's your wallet, do whatever the hell you want.
Hey! Gotta start somewhere. Where else would you like me to look for "flushing" the brake fluid.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
Hey! Gotta start somewhere. Where else would you like me to look for "flushing" the brake fluid.

Are you serious? MY GOD, we're not talking about overhauling the engines in the shuttle. The brake system is a hydraulic circuit and nothing more. ABS, control modules, and the like are nothing more than add-on components.

Have you read the FSM? Have you done anything to any vehicle beyond filling the fuel tank? Seriously, you get your panties in a bunch over the answer we posted and say we're "jerks" and "smart-asses". Try looking at some threads where zman and I have posted in the last few days. You must be under 25, because you come across as someone who WANTS IT ALL RIGHT NOW and you can't handle constructive criticism .

Old 01-05-2009, 04:49 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
Uhh...Repair manuals, Google search, Dodge Forum search............................................ ........................You get the idea.....

Old 01-05-2009, 05:00 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Are you serious? MY GOD, we're not talking about overhauling the engines in the shuttle. The brake system is a hydraulic circuit and nothing more. ABS, control modules, and the like are nothing more than add-on components.

Have you read the FSM? Have you done anything to any vehicle beyond filling the fuel tank? Seriously, you get your panties in a bunch over the answer we posted and say we're "jerks" and "smart-asses". Try looking at some threads where zman and I have posted in the last few days. You must be under 25, because you come across as someone who WANTS IT ALL RIGHT NOW and you can't handle constructive criticism .

hahahahaha, actually I did take a quick glance at the fsm. I didn't see anything about a flush though (hense the reason for the post). I came across that link I posted after asking google how to do it. Oh, I would like you to show me where I said the bolded. Kinda stumped on that one. It just so happens im on vacation this week so yes, I am looking to get it done and over with. Don't really want more hassel than I need, thats all. Anyway just let the thread die......

Old 01-05-2009, 05:05 PM
dodgeboy7
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same promblem and i think i had water in it from running in a creek but anyway i went to sears and bought there one man bleeder kit about 68$ trust me dont buy the cheep one and i just suck every thing out the m/c and then just started in the back right and made my way around and then put new brake fuild "dot 3" in. First fill the m/c and then start in the back again and work our way around. Make sure you keep checking the m/c that it dose not go dry. I did my truck and my moms "04 chevy 1500" works great. It only coats about 80$ with the tool and brake fuild alot cheaper then the shop trust me i work for one those shi* holes.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:37 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

So, how much did it cost??

Old 03-25-2009, 02:31 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Lol, reviving a 3 month old thread thats done with (stiring the pot eh?). Think it was somewhere around $90 or so, and worth every penny since I had to travel 3 hours the next day. Some of us can't risk taking chances with some things... The truck being my only mode of transportation, I can't have that much downtime with it. I pointed out in the powersteering thread by VW, that when I did mine I went with a pump w/ resivour. Not suggesting that he should have went with that... just stating my experience with my PS pump. He has had plenty of hours involved in rebuilding that pump (initial pull & build, then trouble shooting, then...drove it around, then had to pull it again, rebuild it again, put it back in... Then pulled it again i think, etc.. you get the idea) I had an hour, and mine was back on the road including the fluid flush I did. I still did the labor of installing the full pump, pull / press pulley, etc... so for the extra 24 dollars to save me hours of troubleshooting and time spent, it was worth it for me. VW is happy with the knowledge he gained, and im happy for him that he figured it out. Everything that has been installed on my truck, has been by me except for rear wheel cylinders that was done during state inspection, and this brake flush.

You will soon learn purple that some things are just better to have someone else do it. Sometimes the easier route may cost a bit more, but if it saves me headache and gives me piece of mind in the end... that is priceless.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:00 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

I asked because I just got new stainless steel braided lines and the 1-ton wheel cylinder mod, and I want to have the truck at a point where all of the fluids have been replaced and I know their life.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid flush procedure?