2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake fluid flush procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:54 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fluid flush procedure?

I heard you arn't supposed to pump the brake pedal with modern brakes. Is the only thing gravity bleeding until you see the new fluid?

Old 01-05-2009, 02:57 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No, you just have to pump it slowly and make sure you fill the MC while you are doing it.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hell, you can bleed 'em dry and start fresh. Where'd you come up with the story they aren't supposed to be pumped?

Old 01-05-2009, 03:08 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/brake_fluid_change.htm

... (snip)

One side note learned by experience. If you are interested in doing a brake fluid flush on your own vehicle, be warned of the potential dangers. Foremost, follow the brake bleeding procedures outlined in the repair manual you should be using. Stepping on the brake pedal with the brake lines cracked open can cause the dirt and debris to be pushed into the body of the master cylinder, thus causing damage to internal parts and seals of the master cylinder and the anti-lock brake components. Stepping on the brake pedal as someone under the vehicle opens each brake line at the wheel used to be the way you bled brakes, but not anymore.

(snip) ...

Old 01-05-2009, 03:10 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Rather not guess at this... Called dodge and have an appt at 8:30 in the morn. My pedal is spongy and goes down far to the floor. Brakes are good. I think air just got in somehow, plus I think the fluid was over heated last summer when the shop put in new wheel cylinders and over tightend the brakes so smoke came out of the back. lol, bout time i fix it.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

OK, good luck paying for all the extra things they are going to find!And can't do it unless this and that is fixed. Supposedly.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:26 PM
punkrguy
Professional

Originally Posted by zman17
OK, good luck paying for all the extra things they are going to find!And can't do it unless this and that is fixed. Supposedly.
Thats exactly what i was thinking! They will always find something else to try and nail ya with.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
http://www.trustmymechanic.com/brake_fluid_change.htm

... (snip)

One side note learned by experience. If you are interested in doing a brake fluid flush on your own vehicle, be warned of the potential dangers. Foremost, follow the brake bleeding procedures outlined in the repair manual you should be using. Stepping on the brake pedal with the brake lines cracked open can cause the dirt and debris to be pushed into the body of the master cylinder, thus causing damage to internal parts and seals of the master cylinder and the anti-lock brake components. Stepping on the brake pedal as someone under the vehicle opens each brake line at the wheel used to be the way you bled brakes, but not anymore.

(snip) ...
Oh, horse-s-h-i-t. That's pure effing Bee-Ess. Have fun paying out the a$$.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:58 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

I personally like to get someone to pump the brakes for me. Get an empty can and buy a one-man bleeder for like $6 bucks.

Start the farthers from the Master Cylinder. Go RR, LR, RF, LF. Crack it open, have the person push the pedal to the floor, close it and have them pump it up. Add new fluid to the master cylinder after every corner. Keep repeating(even if the new fluid is coming through) til all the air bubbles are out of the line. I go through this twice, get two bottles of the brake fluid. Brake fluid should be changed every two years. Costs under $10 bucks and 30minutes of your time, if that.

If you have alot of chunks or anything in it, you might've had a brake line collapse.

However, someone else I know with a Ram just did all this and still had the issue. It ended up being the master cylinder.

I'll throw that out there even if you're going to the shop. Just for a future reference.

Hope it's a shop you know someone or trust really well. Lately shops seem to be screwing people just to make the money.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:23 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

lol, you guys are f'n halarious! I didn't ask for an attitude or an opinion, I asked what the procedure was for flushing blake fluid. I love this mentality that you can't take anything to the shop on this forum and quite frankly, it needs to stop.

I replaced my front pads over the summer. I just replaced my rear drum's and shoes a few days ago. As far as doing work yourself, im all for it. But when it comes down to something i've never done before (brake fluid flush & bleeding...) and don't have anyone that can show me.... I'd rather not chance it. If thats what I decide you all need to respect that decision rather than giving me crap about it.

Finally, I was quoted 1 hour shop time + fluid over the phone. Thats what its scheduled for, thats what it will go in for, and thats what I will pay all said and done.

EDIT - Thanks OneBadKota for your worthwhile response.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 01-05-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid flush procedure?