2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009 | 09:31 AM
talon6
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by WTL
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm curious....

Why did it melt?

For a replacement it can be as easy as going to advance and getting the chrome round mr gasket aircleaner, comes with a gasket. $20 something bucks. Same exact thing as the mopar cover above, the mopar one just looks cooler.
he had a engine fire. cannt remember how it happened though.

Old 01-11-2009 | 12:10 PM
txredneckmedic
|
Rookie

I had some ignition issues, more specifically the distributor cap was rotated by one wire all the way around causing the spark plugs to go bad. Well we fixed the distributor and decided to drive it back to my house to do the spark plugs(less than a mile away). Well less than a block away it started back firing really bad and shut off. I went to restart it and had nothing but noticed alot of black smoke and someone running my way yelling fire. We pushed her off to the side and was able to hit her with a extinguisher and saved most of it. Just melted the sensors on the intake manifold, distributor and some wiring and other misc items.

Old 01-11-2009 | 02:40 PM
vmann
Veteran

Originally Posted by Vader
I did this today

any advantage over the stock box? feel any extra power? ive heard that the open air cleaners make the engine warm up faster which is good when its cold but i live in texas.. 99.7% of the time its hot here.

Old 01-11-2009 | 03:20 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

my K&n cold air intake sounds good i dont think that it helps my truck warm up any fast its going to warm up when its ready.

Old 01-11-2009 | 06:15 PM
Obiejuankinobie
Professional

Vader have you had any issues with the "Check engine" light coming on. I've read somewhere it throws a code when the round cleaners are installed???

Old 01-11-2009 | 08:40 PM
Jpnorris87
Professional

One thing I cant figure out is why people keep saying they dont want the round air filter b/c they go mudding? First off, if you have ever messed with or worked on an actual mud run truck, they usually have an open round filter on them. The reason is, if you have a solid plastic tube connected to your TB, and you submerge the end of that tube in water, it will suck the water into your engine slicker than snot. It dont matter if its a K&N and your passenger side headlight is under water, or if its a stock set up and your passenger side fender is under water. You are still going to suck water into your engine. Personally if I went mudding alot, i would run the open round filter with cheap paper filters. Go mudding, drive it to the house, wash it off, and replace the $10 filter. It might get muddy and water on it, but it wont water lock your engine like a CAI will if you submerge it.

Old 01-11-2009 | 08:46 PM
vmann
Veteran

i dont go mudding and i was wondering if i should go with the round open air cleaner. they seem to pull more air in and the are cheap.

Old 01-11-2009 | 09:06 PM
Vader
Champion

Originally Posted by Obiejuankinobie
Vader have you had any issues with the "Check engine" light coming on. I've read somewhere it throws a code when the round cleaners are installed???
Not so far but I have only driven it for less than 50 miles. I will keep everyone updated.

Old 01-12-2009 | 09:28 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Jpnorris87
One thing I cant figure out is why people keep saying they dont want the round air filter b/c they go mudding? First off, if you have ever messed with or worked on an actual mud run truck, they usually have an open round filter on them. The reason is, if you have a solid plastic tube connected to your TB, and you submerge the end of that tube in water, it will suck the water into your engine slicker than snot. It dont matter if its a K&N and your passenger side headlight is under water, or if its a stock set up and your passenger side fender is under water. You are still going to suck water into your engine. Personally if I went mudding alot, i would run the open round filter with cheap paper filters. Go mudding, drive it to the house, wash it off, and replace the $10 filter. It might get muddy and water on it, but it wont water lock your engine like a CAI will if you submerge it.
I have been mudding a couple of times with my round filter (paper filter), and it only takes a few passes though deep mud and water (bif splashes) before the intake is completely covered with mud and water (see pic for example). When I remove the filter to replace it, I have seen a few dribbles of water that were going into my TB. Had I continued to run it, I would have definitely water-logged. I carry a spare paper filter though, so it wasn't an issue, just put in a new filter and was good to go again.

I now carry a K&N pre-filter that is designed to block water and dust. When I go mudding now, I slip it over the filter assembly first. This works great, and when I take it off, the paper filter is as clean as could be. I still carry a spare filter in the truck just in case though.

Old 01-12-2009 | 10:08 AM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

As a convert from K+N to Chrome round filter, I can tell you the advantages outweigh any disadvantages. I don't have CELs and the truck seems to run fine in Oklahoma's ever changing weather. I don't have that crack prone k&N tube and useless baffling taking up a bunch of engine compartment space. I love the "nostalgic look"!
I will change the paper filter to a Spectre element when its ready.

Last edited by dsertdog56; 01-12-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Air cleaners