2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ticking sound at 2500 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:58 AM
trucklover
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the engine is at normal operating temperature, how long can you run the engine without the serpitine belt?

Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't do it too long at temp, but you could at least turn it over for a min or 2 to see if its a pulley.

you can also try to hit each pulley with some WD-40 to see if the tick goes away, just go slow and allow the oil to penetrate.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:15 AM
trucklover
Veteran

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:32 PM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same exact issue, but I notice it ticking more so when its cold, and slightly less when warmed up. But I hear it under light accleration, but when I give it more throttle it goes away. I do have a slight exhaust leak, think that might cause the ticking?
Anyhow, post your findings.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:16 PM
trucklover
Veteran

Well I got off work about an hour early today so I came straight home to work on the truck. After getting the wife to control the throttle I have traced the noise to the front of the engine. It sounds like its coming from the timing chain.

I replaced the timing chain with a double roller from Comp Cams about a year and a half ago due to a knocking racket the original one was making at idle. I didn't notice the knocking sound for a while, but one day I was hearing it again. So I tore it down again and I put a Mopar timing chain tensioner on. This took care of the knocking sound all together.

But now when the wife was reving the engine I could hear the sound the loudest right in the timing cover area (I am using a stethoscope). It does not do it at idle, only when the revs near 2500 rpm. As soon as the rpms drop to about 2300 rpm no more noise. Its like something is loose.

1. Should I have even needed the tensioner with a double roller chain? (Even though it got rid of the noise it had before at idle).

2.Why would it be making noise when I rev the engine?

3. Should I get another chain or is there another problem?

4. When will it warm up again so I can work on it?

So many questions!!

Old 01-16-2009, 05:32 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd tear it down and have a look. Order up a new chain from someone you can return it to if not needed, but I'd have one on hand just in case something went haywire.

Revving to higher RPMs is putting more work on the chain and gearset. Maybe 2500RPM's is the spot where the tension and amount of force being applied to the chain set is allowing it to slack the most and making an audible sound. You'll have to tear her down ot be sure.

IDK if the tensioner was intended for use on the DR chain, it's possible it wasn't and is getting tore up by the heavier chain.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:03 PM
trucklover
Veteran

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels

IDK if the tensioner was intended for use on the DR chain, it's possible it wasn't and is getting tore up by the heavier chain.

That's kind of what I was thinking. It was pretty tight when I put it on. I think we may have some 50 degree weather next week so I will probably take a day off work and tear it down.

Thanks for everyone's help and I will let you know when I get it figured out.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:51 PM
trucklover
Veteran

Update:
I have replaced the timing chain and eliminated the tensioner (I put the thrust plate back on). The noise is still there. It will not do it while the engine is cold, only after it warms up. I took it up to my dads house and got him to hold the rpms steady at the point where we could hear the rattle. I crawled under the truck and could hear it the loudest at the driverside beneath the exhaust manifold. It is pretty loud underneath the truck. Oil pressure is good. You can only hear it from 1800-2600 rpm (the sound accelerates with the rpms) . Sometimes its louder at 1800 rpm and sometimes its louder at 2500 rpm or in between. Dad thinks it may be an exhaust leak. It is very difficult to pinpoint exactly where the noise is comming from. It is more of a rattle sound than a knock. I have tried all the heat shields and they are okay.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:27 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it could be a bad exhaust man gasket, there been a few people on the forum thought they had a bad lifter and turn out to be a bad gasket... good luck i wish i could help out more

Old 02-01-2009, 03:20 AM
Viper37
Banned

Check your exhaust clamps. My forward one rattles itself loose monthly.

If you find nothing, consider dropping the oil pan and inspecting the rod bearings. My Ranger had the identical noise from 25-3500 rpm's and it turned out to be bad rod bearings.

Quick Reply: Ticking sound at 2500 RPM