2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifting My 96 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:54 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting My 96 Ram

I will be lifting my 96 Ram 1500 4x4 within the next couple of months and hopefully have the truck completely done by May for mudfest. The truck will be mudding ALOT in spring, and fall if its wet enough. I was looking at the 5.5'' Fabtech or 5'' skyjacker lift kit's. Now I've heard that you have to extend the driveshaft, is this true? It's kind of confusing because some people say its only if you go 7'' or higher and some say that if you go 5'' or higher you need to extend the driveshaft and brake lines. Not sure if I wanna go through that trouble.

So I thought of a 3'' suspension lift and a 3'' PA body lift for a total of 6''. This truck will be strictly mud and it is my daily driver. Next truck will be for rocks and crawling. I've heard good stories and some really bad stories of running a body lift.
Guy's having them come apart and some other stuff. Now I know that you need to extend your linkage and some other stuff does that all come in the kit? What are you guys' opinions on them? now I've talked to some guys who have wheeled with 3'' body lifts flipped the trucks over on the trails and ain't had a problem yet. Plus I hear that body lifts can be a bitch to put in.

The suspension and body lift is the cheapest way to go, however if I don't have to extend my driveshaft then I may just pay the extra few hundred bucks and get the Fabtech lift. I had found a fabtech lift for a $1,100 and the susp + bl would cost about $800 - $900. Just looking for some answers and idea's. What do you guys think?

Old 01-14-2009, 08:20 PM
guitarking135
Professional

you don't really want a body lift on a mud truck cause you'll get stuck... a suspension lift gets the frame up and off the axles more all a body lift does is take the body off the frame more depending on what size tires you put under it would determine the lift. if you just have some like 33's a 3 or 4 inch lift will be fine. if your wanting like 38's then yea you need the 6 inches but if you want to mud and not get stuck all the time you need the 6 inches of suspension

Old 01-14-2009, 08:35 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

just get a tranfer case drop kit i here there 40 buck. i think that its 5 u need ti make yr stuff longer.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

If you have the money I say go all suspension. Then you can always slap a body lift on later if you want more lift.

You will not need to extend the drive shaft for a 5" lift. Everything will come with the kit to do it right. Once you get near 7" or more suspension lift you will have to do something about the front shaft as far as binding goes (an indexing ring or grinding around the CV joint a bit will remedy that), but the length of it should still be fine even with that much lift.

I have a 3" body and 3" suspension lift on my truck and 35's is about all you can run. Some 37's on the right wheel may fit, but I don't know. What tires are you gonna run?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Olyelr... a fellow PS.Com brother lol. I didn't know you were also on DF thats pretty cool man.
You probably remember me posting this on pavement then lol, but the more I thought about it the more I thought man... I really rather just go all suspension. Nothing against y'all with body lifts, but I fiqured I'd be getting stuck quite a bit with 3'' body and 3'' suspension. Just wanna know what I'm gonna have to screw around with. I'd rather suspension because it seems little more safer, plus if the woman takes it, I'd know both my girls are safe lol.
Truck will be getting 35's. I probably will gear it to 4.88's just in case I do put bigger tires on eventually. Never say never lol.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Silver Kracker

The only thing with Body Kits is that they run a lot smoother on the road and barely makes a difference in performance in mud.

If you have the money, I'd say go for a suspension kit

Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by LegendKiller89
Olyelr... a fellow PS.Com brother lol. I didn't know you were also on DF thats pretty cool man.
You probably remember me posting this on pavement then lol, but the more I thought about it the more I thought man... I really rather just go all suspension. Nothing against y'all with body lifts, but I fiqured I'd be getting stuck quite a bit with 3'' body and 3'' suspension. Just wanna know what I'm gonna have to screw around with. I'd rather suspension because it seems little more safer, plus if the woman takes it, I'd know both my girls are safe lol.
Truck will be getting 35's. I probably will gear it to 4.88's just in case I do put bigger tires on eventually. Never say never lol.

Haha, yeah I'm over here now too. Just signed up not too long ago... never saw this site before.

I don't remember you posting this question on PS. But who knows, I probably even replied to it! Anyway, you sound like your on the right track to me. And 4.88's, damn I'm so envious! If you plan on daily driving the truck as well as mudding it, stay away from boggers and TSL's. Trust me, its just not worth it. Just get a good radial mud terrain.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 AM
LegendKiller89
Captain

Haha, yea this forum is pretty awesome. I've learned quite a bit of stuff on here. Yup already got that covered for tires. Probably gonna get BFG Mud Terrains or Pro Comp Xterrains, then when I have extra money get a set of TSL's or Boggers for when I take the truck wheeling on the weekend. I actually have passed up two set's of Super Swampers one set was 35's the other set was 36's for $400-$500 on craigslist here in WI. Tires had like 95% tread. I pity but also laugh when guys buy 35's and then they decide they want 38's and never even use the 35's lol.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 PM
MidKnight95

http://a515.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...171e140eba.jpg
http://a329.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...17d392fba8.jpg

flip ball joints(2 inches), body lift (3 inches), skyjacker (6 inch), 37 inch boggers- roughly 12 inches of lift

thats my mud truck yea yea yea i know its a Chevy oh well at least i own a dodge too. Anyways, i would recommend body lift + suspension esp if you plan on clearing a 37+ tire. the body lift helps clear the mud and big space for tires. a lift isn't always necessary, i had a 92 Toyota stock everything and went through alot other trucks w/ lifts had issues getting through. You shouldn't have to extend the drive shaft unless you go bigger than 6 inches, and if you want bigger than that you want to go straight axle (assuming you have independent now).

Last edited by MidKnight95; 01-15-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:51 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

o personally already live in mud lick its cool. i know alot of use do but i would just keep in the bck of my mind. the mian thing people get stuck on is the axle clearance. the suspention wil give better flex or easier fle to get the tractiont the bigger tires need. so if this was my situation. i would just do the suspention. and big tires. im sorry but ya dont see big foot rolling on a body lift...

Quick Reply: Lifting My 96 Ram