2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil pressure switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:08 PM
encorejc35
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure switch

ok, after driving for about ten minutes i notice my oil pressure drops to about 20 lbs and then it looks like it vibrates up and down(crappy explanation but what else do i put) rapidly, i think its the oil pressure gauge thats gone bad, recently i started to use 5w-30 synthetic blend motor oil, could this b my problem, should i start using 10w-30 regular? my main question is in fact if this is my problem then where is it located? ive heard passenger side next to distributor but i can only see an egr valve, solenoid and a bunch of wiring, should i follow a specific wire? thanks to anyone who helps!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:20 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should be in between the egr and didtributor

Old 01-15-2009, 12:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the thinner oil will flow with less resistance, and in my opinion, lowers the oil pressure a little. by itself this is not a problem, as the goal is to lubricate the bearings, not to just achieve high oil pressure.

your location is correct, it on the top of the block, on the very back edge, on the passenger side of the distributor. its pretty much impossible to see. it looks like this, except that it screws in vertically. i can't remember which direction the wire comes in from. find a way to lay up on the passenger side fender. find a way to lay your hand on top of the distributor. find a way to touch the base of the distributor on the passenger side. move a little more sideways. right there.

http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDetail2.html?PS291.jpg

Old 01-15-2009, 01:39 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

Something just to caution you also is that when switching over to synthetic from standard oil can "create leaks".

The synthetic oil is much thinner in its molecular form than conventional oil and slight gaps in old gaskets or seals may stop conventional oil but allow synthetic to flow through.

I tried switching to synthetic blend and I started leaking a little. I switched back and the problem was gone.

Just a little F.Y.I.

I have also replaced my temp sensor, it is kinda a PITA to get to. Like dhvaughan said, you can't really see it.

They sell a special socket for that specifically. However, when I went to put the new one in, the socket wouldn't seat down far enough. The inside of the socket didn't have a counterbore deep enough. Luckily I work at a machine shop and we slapped it into the lathe and ground it back a little further. Then it was not a problem.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:23 PM
helms
All Star

[QUOTE=dblj16380;1512805]Something just to caution you also is that when switching over to synthetic from standard oil can "create leaks".

The synthetic oil is much thinner in its molecular form than conventional oil and slight gaps in old gaskets or seals may stop conventional oil but allow synthetic to flow through.

I tried switching to synthetic blend and I started leaking a little. I switched back and the problem was gone.QUOTE]

X2, good tip. dont forget that Synthetics generally have a higher detergent content. when your engine runs on conventional oil for the better part of its life, there will sometimes be sluge buildup around the seals and gaskets that will accually help seal them when they get old and dry. The synthetic oil can wash this sludge away creating alot of leaks.
Never break an engine in on Synthetic and never swich a high milage engine to synthetic if it has been using conventional

Quick Reply: oil pressure switch