2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Ram 1500 4x4 mysteriously blowing "Parking Lamp" fuse REPEATEDLY!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:11 PM
vVvVSHARKVvVv
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 98 Ram 1500 4x4 mysteriously blowing "Parking Lamp" fuse REPEATEDLY!!

Hey guys... I am new here to this forum, and need some help with a 98 Dodge Ram 1500. I have a 15 amp "Parking Lamp" fuse, that for some reason, just started blowing last week, out of the clear blue sky for no apparent reason. I have not added anything recently to the circuit.

To help give anyone reading this a visual how it all started, I will explain in the briefest way I know possible, to better help explain my little delema... lol.

I got up the other morning to go to work and, as I checked the weather report for the day online, I was amazed at how far the temp outside had dropped throughout the night. It was a bone chilling -29* F!!! Nothing new to me, being a native to Northern NY!! BUT!!! I now work outdoors everyday 9-12 hrs, 6 days a week... lol

I figured I had better start my new winter rat up a little earlier today. Better yet, to see if it would even start AT ALL!!! lol.

Much to my suprize... it did start, thanks to Red Optima battery that I put in it, the week before from my 06 GTO, that I store for the winter months...

The truck ran for close to 1/2 hr. when I went to get in it to go to work, I happen to notice that the running lights weren't on... In which, this was an issue that I noticed shortly after having bought the truck from a youngster a couple months back. He had replaced the factory radio, with an aftermarket Pioneer Stereo, and had apparently used the running lights circuit to power the new Stereo he installed, on a budget, by himself... lol. The reason I know he tapped into the running lights circuit, is because... every time you start the truck, the running light come on. Regardless of weather it is day or night. I also just recently noticed something else that was very unusual... I left the headlights on one night when I went to get out, and with the keys in my pocket, the stereo was still playing. When I hit the light to turn them off, the stereo shut off. I pulled the lights back on in disbelief of what had just happened. And was AMAZED to find the the stereo came back ON!! HAHAHAHA!!! YEAH!! I KNOW.... WTF!!! Thats when I said to myself... "Ive gotta fix this issue over the weekend, before it fries something!! Anyways, when I got in the truck that morning it was so cold... When I turned on the lights.. I had NO DASH, RUNNING, nor DOME LIGHTS working, but had headlights, and break lights... Right then I realized I must have blown a fuse. So, I replaced it, WITH THE TRUCK RUNNING, AND LIGHTS ALREADY ON... and they all cam back on!! COOL BEANS HUH?? Well, NO!! because when I shut my door and placed my foot the the the break, to put the truck in drive... The fuse blew IMMEDIATELY, as soon as I applied the brake... So, I scratched my head for a minute, debating weather or not it was light enough out to drive 3 miles to work, with out rear marker lights... Thats when I saw a Co-Worker drive by. So I pulled out and passed him... being a smart guy, he realized WHY I did, immediately, and called my cell...

When I got to work, I told the boss I was taking the day off (We are encouraged to use our leave time, during the winter months, when work is at a stand still).

I left work and went over to my brother-in-laws garage and let it un-thaw, while I went inside, and got un-thawed MYSELF!! -29* F??? WTF!!! lol.

I immediately thought.... "I GOTTA PULL THAT SMURFING STEREO THAT THE KID INSTALLED!! AND WIRE IT UP CORRECTLY!!!" But, before I did, I wanted to see for sure, once again, what I was doing, that was making the fuse blow. So, with the truck OFF, and the keys in my pocket. I replaced the fuse, and pulled out the headlight switch, to see what was actually happening, step by step, so I would have a mental record of what was making it blow, so I could determine what might be the cause, as it happened. But, this time, I had a new delema... The fuse blew immediately, 2-3 times, right when I pulled the headlight switch out, just to the running lights position ONLY!! Now I was totally baffled!! (and I still am at this time... lol)... Because an hour ago, ALL LIGHTS would come on, and STAY ON, until I applied the brake, and then it would blow the fuse... lol. At this point I defaced the Pioneer Stereo, so that it could not power up when I turned the lights on, but, that made no difference, the fuse would still blow immediately, when the running lights were applied, without touching anything else... I started disassembling the dash, to get to the aftermarket stereo, to see if I could find a loose wire... In which, I did not. Regardless, I went to Napa and bought an aftermarket stereo wiring harness, that would simply snap into place, with the factory stereo wiring, to better help eliminate any issues with crossed wires possibly being the problem. And to eliminate the issue with the running lights always being on, and also the issue with the stereo staying on, as long as the Headlights were in use...

After having installed the new wiring harness to the aftermarket stereo, to coincide with the factory radio wiring... I assumed I must have solved my problems... NOT!! because as soon as I had the dash all back together, because I was 110% sure I had all of my bases coved with the new wiring harness thingy... I replaced the already blown 15 amp, Parking Lamp Fuse, with a new one, an as soon as I pulled the headlight switch to the "Parking Light" position, the fuse blew yet again...

I am now assuming it might be the headlight switch all on its own, that is giving me a such MIGRAINE!! BUT.... WHY would my initial problem have accrued, where the brake being applied, have caused the fuse to blow, but not now... Now it just blows every time I go to turn on the Running Lights???

Any, and ALL suggestion on what to do 1st, 2nd, 3rd WELCOME!! LOL

Thanks a million in advance guys!!! Malcolm Smith

Last edited by vVvVSHARKVvVv; 01-20-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

I'll bet money the kid had aftermarket fogs hooked up to the headlight/parking light circuit and the tap he used is grounding out, causing the fuse to blow. Start tracing your headlight/PL wires from the HL switch and under the dash; anywhere the kid had easy access to the wiring and look for the tap. It could also be where the wires are exposed near the headlights themselves. You need to think like a 16 yo kid, lol.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:07 PM
vVvVSHARKVvVv

Thanks for the reply man!!

Well, I bought a new headlight switch for $35 @ Napa today, and, just for ****s and giggles... I wanted to see what would happen (BEFORE I CHANGED THE HL SWITCH). So, I threw a 15A fuse in the "Park Lamp" slot, where the fuse started blowing out of the clear blue sky for no apparent reason, every time I tried turning on the HL/PL as of last week, when the outdoor temp dropped below -25* F. Today it is in the low 20's, and well... Low and behold... when I pulled the HL switch out, the Headlight's & Parking Lamp's.... STAYED LIT??????

BUT... Now I have a NEW ISSUE (((Keep in mind, that I have not made ANY altercations, AT ALL, since this lighting issue started acting up))). I got in, and hit the brakes to see if the fuse would blow by applying the brakes (((this is when the P/L fuse first started blowing, when I would apply the brakes))). But then it started blowing the fuse, just by turning on the P/L or Running Lights as some call it. Now, after having warmed up outside (so it would seem...LOL) I am once again, now able to turn on the head light, running lights... and apply the brakes... AND THE FUSE DOES NOT BLOW NOW???? WHAT????

Anyways... I turned on the Right single light and walked around the truck... Odd as it may sound ALL LIGHTS ARE WORKING... AND EVEN SOME THAT SHOULDN'T BE!!!... HAHAHA!!!! For instance.. The BACK-UP LIGHTS FLASH WHEN THE LEFT SINGLE LIGHT IS APLYED... BUT NOT WHEN I APPLY THE RIGHT SINGLE... AND IF THAT WASN'T SCREWED UP ENNOUGH.... WHEN I TURN ON THE THE HEADLIGHTS, AND APPLY THE LEFT SINGLE, IT WONT FLASH AT ALL, BUT, WHEN I TRY THE RIGHT SINGLE... BOTH OF THE BACK-UP LIGHTS FLASH, ALONG WITH THE RIGHT FLASHER... I am the only one home right now, so I cant see what is happening when I get in and apply the brakes, with and with-out the headlights on... I am going back out to see if I can find a short in the after market trailer lights that DO NOT appear to be factory installed...

Any suggestions greatly apresiated... OH AND... maybe I should just go ahead and change the H/L switch just for ****s & giggles huh?? LOL

Old 01-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

You mentioned the pigtail for the trailer lights. I think that's a good starting point. Also, do you have an electric trailer brake controller?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:53 PM
vVvVSHARKVvVv

Yeah, the tow light wires were a mess, so I cut them all off, where they had tapped into the factory wiring, but, it didn't solve my issue. So, I decided to take it to the dodge dealership and explain the issues I'm having with this constantly changing wiring mystery. When I got to the dealership, I happen to single to the left when I went to pull in to the service department, and the left blinker was NOW WORKING??? WHAT?? When I came to a stop, I checked it once again, and now it was not... again... lol

I went in and began explaining my situation to two VERY COOL mechanic's, that seem to find trouble shooting FUN, just as I normally do... But, NOT when the issue is related to electrical... and NOT when the problem changes, like a womans mood during menopause!!!.. LOL They were equally as interested as I was, as to what was causing all of these different lighting issues to happen, at different times, but never being the same issue, with things adding to it... As issues like this do not normally happen like this. They are going to have all next week to figure it out if need be... But, after much discussion with them, and their handy Online Mopar Knowledge Base... LOL. We have got it narrowed down to one of 5 things that it COULD BE... that is causing different circumstances, at different times... But it is definitely a back feed of power, due to a short within the circute... Just a few questions to iron out, as to WHY the brake lights where involved, when the issue first arised, because they (so I was told) are on a separate circuit, as are the headlights, from that of the Markers and Radio etc. And then there are the Reverse lights NOW on, whenever the headlights are on, because (as I was also told) are on the transmission circut... Then again, electricity, somehow, seems to find its way around into other circuit's now and then, because of an unrelated issue...

I will keep you posted Dog, thanks for your interest and help on this bro!! It's much aprecciated... I have been a member of LS2GTO.COM for a couple of years, and with all forums, there is ALLOT of mis-information and un-needed sarcasm that comes with online forums... mostly do to kids now being able to afford the 04-06 GTO's... Mine however, will hopefully be with me till the day I die... Again, thanks for the help... Joe

Last edited by vVvVSHARKVvVv; 01-21-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

I know this is an old post but has similarities to an issue I just had and since I don't know if you solved your problem you could check to see if the battery hold diwn bolt closest to the fender has pierced the wiring harness under the battery box. That is what happened to me and every time I turned on the right turn signal the high beams would flash with it.

Quick Reply: 98 Ram 1500 4x4 mysteriously blowing "Parking Lamp" fuse REPEATEDLY!!