2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question about front wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by working4ev

my truck is only rear wheel ABS so no little wire to deal with both bearing are relatively the same the ABS one has the sensor plat and the sensor.

Yep, they are actually interchangeable, but the ABS wont work right if a none ABS hub is used on a truck with front ABS.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:01 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by punkrguy
Ive had one of the ebay ones in for a year now with no problem and i use 4x4 alot and i just replaced the other side a few months ago with the same and have yet to have any problems. Just my 2cents.
Which ones were they?
Most likely you don't know what brand they are. The seller probably did'nt give you the brand name. How can you recommend something w/o knowing the name?

To the OP:
Don't buy something based on just price. These are you wheel bearings. They are not an easy task to replace. I am speaking from experence, here. I had to replace them twice. I put crappy wheel bearings on ($275 @ AutoZone), then 20,000 miles later, when I got new tires, The tire shop said that my wheel bearings looked like they had 100,000 miles on them! I was pissed!! But the tire shop gave me free installation since they were putting on tires. I had them put on Timken bearings(The Best). They did the bearings for only $350.

What i'm getting at is, Don't Be Cheap!!!
If you are..
You may end up like me, spending over $600 just for wheel bearings. That $275 i spent the first time could of went to something I really wanted, like Roller Rockers or a SuperChips. Timken FTW

No Ranting

My .02

Old 03-03-2009, 11:59 PM
working4ev
Professional

Ok so after replacing the front left (driver) side bearing, the sound is still there, then i replaced the right (passenger) side, same no change. Then today i was getting new tires 285/75/16 with all the tires off i went around and tryed to wiggle the hubs on the front all good so i thought i should check the rear just to be sure. There it was rear left (passanger) side a good up and down and side to side wiggle. d@m i gess i am going to replace all the wheel bearings. :-(
They have been turning for over 230,000 miles

In response to the replacing the wheel bearing/hub being hard. There is not much to it after removing the brake parts and the hub nut the hub just falls off the axel. or it is just my good luck. :-)

Thanks guys for all your help

Old 03-04-2009, 08:01 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by working4ev
Ok so after replacing the front left (driver) side bearing, the sound is still there, then i replaced the right (passenger) side, same no change. Then today i was getting new tires 285/75/16 with all the tires off i went around and tryed to wiggle the hubs on the front all good so i thought i should check the rear just to be sure. There it was rear left (passanger) side a good up and down and side to side wiggle. d@m i gess i am going to replace all the wheel bearings. :-(
They have been turning for over 230,000 miles

In response to the replacing the wheel bearing/hub being hard. There is not much to it after removing the brake parts and the hub nut the hub just falls off the axel. or it is just my good luck. :-)

Thanks guys for all your help

Well, it must be your luck. Getting the wheel bearing to un-seize itself from the spindle some times takes several hours of beating/prying/cussing, and of course lots of drinking. Hopefully you installed anti-seize on the back side of them so it "falls off" for you next time you change them too.

And for what its worth, I believe it is better to check your wheel bearings with the tires still mounted, that way you can get some leverage.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:57 PM
RAMLIFT

How do you pull out the intermediate shaft from the front axle on the passenger side of a dodge ram 5.7 4x4? My teeth are worn and I need a new one before I put a new cvshaft on. I tried to get it out and cant. I used a air impact hammer and tried banging where the c lock ring goes.

amkustomz@yahoo.com

Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 AM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RAMLIFT
How do you pull out the intermediate shaft from the front axle on the passenger side of a dodge ram 5.7 4x4? My teeth are worn and I need a new one before I put a new cvshaft on. I tried to get it out and cant. I used a air impact hammer and tried banging where the c lock ring goes.

amkustomz@yahoo.com

wrong gen truck man

Quick Reply: Question about front wheel bearing