2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

put a cummins in my truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009 | 12:35 AM
CaptCameltoe
Professional

V10 made that power strangled with a anemic cam, 8.4-1 compression, pathetically small exhaust and a lame factory tune. You diesel worshipers can't get this through your heads, take that turbo off and you have a DOG. You can put a turbo on a lawnmower and if it's built strong enough to handle it, it can make a ton of power. The V10 is the red headed step child around here and a very cheap overlooked higher power option to finicky strokers that are hard to tune in. I am not knockin diesels, but the ONLY reason they make any serious power is because off that turbo hangin off the side. Build a V10 to handle those power levels with a huge shot of nitrous thrown at it and watch them diesel boys jaws drop. My first motor will be nothing more then a mildly cammed stocker with bolt ons and a 150 shot. I'd put it up against any other street driven 94-01 dodge truck out there. I have a buddy swappin a diesel into a 1/2 ton like mine and we rag on each other all the time, so it's all good.

Old 01-24-2009 | 08:17 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

hahaha... yes.. the turbo is the life blood of ANY diesel! I'm sure your V10 kicks *** as well (beats the **** out of my 5.9) But The diesels are made to last a million miles or more... your V10... it'll be lucky to see 250,000.. that's just the way gassers work! The higher RPMs destroy the internals after miles of use.. while diesels have a much lower rpm range... the problemwith diesel is poor quality diesel and cold temps... I just want a diesel so I can run waste veggy oil! So I can pretty much drive anywhere for free

Old 01-24-2009 | 12:20 PM
dodge15004x45.9
|
Legend

remember you can run nos and propain off a diesel and chip cold air intake exhaust and beef up the one turbo or get 2 and beef both of them up!

Old 01-24-2009 | 12:40 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

Originally Posted by iwhitne
I just want a diesel so I can run waste veggy oil! So I can pretty much drive anywhere for free
just get you a girlfreind that works at KFC and you will be cookin

if i was to do the cummins swap. i would just buy a rusted up 2500 cummins and put you 45,000 mile body on it

Old 01-24-2009 | 12:45 PM
dodge15004x45.9
|
Legend

yea...thats mean and is it true lol?

Old 01-24-2009 | 06:23 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Originally Posted by CaptCameltoe
My first motor will be nothing more then a mildly cammed stocker with bolt ons and a 150 shot. I'd put it up against any other street driven 94-01 dodge truck out there.
Id be willing to bet that your truck, even with spray, would BARELY outrun mine. Itd be atleast a hell of a race. No spray, and, can you say "owned?"

Yea, sure, take the turbo off. Thats like saying unplug half your spark plugs. I could pour all the fuel to it but EGTs would get damn toasty and Id be burning holes in my pistons. Ill give a gasser props when its capable of pulling a gooseneck w/ a pickup on it to the track, unhook, run 11s with no spray and 1 turbo, hook back up to the goosneck, and go home. All on stock internals and getting atleast 15mpg on the ride to and from the track. Theres a guy who does this regularly. Pulls his 1st gen to the track incase he breaks...

OR, when you can dyno 1000hp/2000+tq, no spray. On STOCK crank, rods, pistons. Good luck with that...haha

V10 never has been, and never will be, king compared to the Cummins. Wow, a whole 20ft-lbs more torque. Hook both trucks up to 15k lb load in the Rockies and that V10 will be gasping for breath tryin to keep up with the Cummins

Anyway, back to the swap. Stick a 12valve in it. No computer, no pump issues. No 53 block. Or p-pump a 24valve. Same principle. Throw in a trans from a Cummins truck and the rearend. Youd have yourself a pretty cool truck. Weighs less than a 2500/3500. Power to weight ratio would be in your favor, as long as you could get it to the ground

Old 01-24-2009 | 07:45 PM
CaptCameltoe
Professional

Again stock for stock and in 1996, the V10 was the most powerful option, not only with torque but also with hp (much more then 20hp too), what is so hard to understand about that? Are you oil burner guys that insecure to just agree with that statement? You diesel guys sound like ricers with your scenarios and excuses.

Since the V10 was never intended to be a boosted application ( it didn't need boost to get out of it's own way ) of course the bottom end isn't built to handle high amounts of boost like a diesel, but if we take that $5000 premium up charge for the diesel and put that into the V10 engine, things begin to get a little more fair. I'm not a fan of add on turbos or super charges in a Dodge, just too hard to get the tune right. Much easier/safer to just throw a shot of nitrous at it IMO. There's plenty of guys that tow heavy loads with the V10 and I have never heard people complain about a lack of power like you seem to think and some do unhook and run at the track ( I doubt any are in the 11's though) . Biggest complaint and this is for any large cube gas engine is fuel consumption. The extra charge for the diesel and the cost of diesel fuel make the mpg advantage with the diesel a washout IMO. Lets not even get into the cost of parts, diesel parts are outrageous. I sell used auto parts and when it comes to a diesel part, it's almost always double what the similar gas part would be.

Why would I feel "owned" if I got beat by a diesel truck? A mildly warmed up stock v10 motor with or without a 100/150 shot vs a turbo diesel with more then likely a *** load of boost over stock. Please throw some vids and time slips up of your world beater diesel rig, not others vids on youtube, YOUR actual truck. I have run a number of so called killer 12 second diesel rigs down here in my low 14 high 13 second LT1 caprice wagon, haven't been beat yet and thats no brag, just guys talk too much sh#@ and can't back it up. Just because your Gtech says your wannabe big rig is in the 12's, doesn't mean it really is. Seems they get slower when you put them up against anything more then a stock 6 cyl tundra lol I am impressed by the cummins motors and thought about doin a diesel swap instead of the V10, but for what I want the V10 will be fine at a fraction of the cost. I think havin a Ram like mine in the 11's for under $3000 total invested is pretty friggin good and on 87 octane no less (can you say cheap fuel?). You can't even build a v8 stroker motor for that much and run those times and a diesel swap would more then likely run you much more then that just for the motor,trans and upgrades to run those times. You diesel guys are such a sensitive bunch.

How come a diesel truck can make 800+hp/1000+ ft lbs tq and barely get into the 11.80-12.50 second range? I know the trucks are heavy but damn that seems like a lot of wasted power somewhere? You will also not get fabled longer reliable engine life when runnin those crazy amounts of boost it takes to make those power levels. As I said I did look into the diesels and everything you diesel guys brag on like reliability, longer engine life, mpg etc isn't there when you start turnin the wick up to those crazy power levels. I love these bs'n and bench racin sessions, gets me motivated to get my green turd on the road so I can have some fun. Scatpack, bring that rig on down to S fla man, you got a free place to stay anytime, but you'll have to line it up against my dog of a V10 and you may or may not like the outcome. Just remember you have to do the towing and driving around on your fastest et boost setting, don't worry I have a flatbed. ;o)

Last edited by CaptCameltoe; 01-24-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2009 | 11:06 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Originally Posted by CaptCameltoe
Scatpack, bring that rig on down to S fla man, you got a free place to stay anytime, but you'll have to line it up against my dog of a V10 and you may or may not like the outcome. Just remember you have to do the towing and driving around on your fastest et boost setting, don't worry I have a flatbed. ;o)
Man, thats a heck of a drive for a race!! Haha Im just ribbin ya man. I like stirrin the pot with the gassers! Let me atleast get a turbo or two before we run, I dont want to burn 'er down!!

Old 01-24-2009 | 11:48 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

..ok really if you going to put a 150 shot into your engine with just a mild cam and bolt ons..your going to evenutally blow your block and your bolt ons. The way our engines are set up are not ment to handle nos, especially if your doing it constantly. Furthermore, no kidding a deisel is a dog without a turbo. The engine doesnt have an efficient way of pulling in air. It needs the turbo, if your going to argue about cars and engines with and without turbos then every sti, evo, wrx and blah blah is S**t, and ill destroy them with my truck stock with a big enough turbo or blower. But just like adding a shot of nos, with slapping on that turbo or blower your going to be buying a new block.

Yeah the v-10 is great, but it is a fact..a fact that deisels are the best engines currently in the world, more efficient and much more capable of producing power. One of those lil deisels in a 1500 matched up against a 5.9 1500 would win on the strip. Its torque that moves our trucks off the line, not the hp not until later in the rpms. That 20 tq difference is going to make a difference.

And finally, what truck is the fastest in the world right now? Who is breaking and making records? Answer: at least it was last time i head...2005 diesel dodge ram 2500. Pushing over 900Hp and over 1000Tq. Over 200+ mph they set the truck land speed record or something like that. I love the V-10, i love my 5.9. Ill prolly always take a gasser over a non cuz i think they sound cooler and are more fun, but for work, always a diesel, more power more potential.

Last edited by Mowhawk; 01-24-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2009 | 09:40 AM
CaptCameltoe
Professional

guys run 125 shots on magnum v8's all the time with no problems, a 150 on the v10 is about the same power level per cylinder. When setup correctly nitrous is the safest and most reliable way to add huge amounts of power. I have used it on several of my past vehicles and never had a problem, one of them even had 140k+ miles on it and I ended up sparyin at least 30-40 bottles through it after that, no kiddin.

Quick Reply: put a cummins in my truck