2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

pcv valve hookup

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009 | 10:24 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
vmann, why are you hooking the PCV vent tube to the air cleaner? You don't want to blow all that crap thru the TB, IAC port and the inside of your air filter.
The breather line is supposed to allow fresh air into the crankcase. If it's sucking CC gasses into the TB, then you've got a plugged PCV. Years ago, there used to be a little fiber air filter for the PCV breather inside the stock air cleaners. On an unmaintained engine, you could almost guarantee it would be oil soaked.

vmann, just get an aftermarket CC breather to put on the VC. Don't try to plumb the breather line into your round air cleaner.

Old 01-28-2009 | 10:45 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

I know there's a breather line for the negative pressure (allow clean air in,) but he stated (at least i thought he stated) he was hooking the PCV line to the air cleaner.

I have a chrome push in filter in the opposite VC of the PCV.

Old 01-28-2009 | 11:09 AM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
I know there's a breather line for the negative pressure (allow clean air in,) but he stated (at least i thought he stated) he was hooking the PCV line to the air cleaner.
Yeah, that's what it sounded like, but vmann had an earlier thread about his new 5 second chrome air cleaner, so I can imagine that stock vent tube dangling free in his engine compartment.

Old 01-28-2009 | 02:02 PM
vmann
Veteran

edelbrock systems have a place to attach the breather hose so im just going to connect it. Better than paying an extra 10 for a crankcase breather

Old 01-28-2009 | 02:27 PM
98cherryram
|
Record Breaker

Wait, can someone explain to me what they are talking about about that tube and not hooking it up to the intake???? Can I just cancel that tubing out and put a breather on it??????

Old 01-28-2009 | 03:01 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

yeah, most old skool engines just have a breather on there but some will say you will smell it in the cab....its worth a try tho

Old 01-28-2009 | 03:02 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by 98cherryram
Wait, can someone explain to me what they are talking about about that tube and not hooking it up to the intake???? Can I just cancel that tubing out and put a breather on it??????
Yes, you must have the PCV valve connected to the vacuum nipple on your intake manifold. This applies to the stock keg, M1, Air Gap, etc.

The vent tube that runs between your stock air cleaner and valve cover can be deleted and generic breather put in it's place in the valve cover. There is a pic of my setup in my photo album.

Old 01-28-2009 | 04:02 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by vmann
edelbrock systems have a place to attach the breather hose so im just going to connect it. Better than paying an extra 10 for a crankcase breather
Then don't say PCV valve! It's a breather hose. That's how the latter half of this thread got going! Do a little research before you say the things you say. When I replied with "HUH" I knew what you were talking about from your past history,as I was hoping you'd figure it out . Kind of like the cab lite thread. And btw, it is worth the ten bucks!

Old 01-28-2009 | 04:29 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by vmann
im running it hanging too for right now. just have to drill a few holes in my edelbrock open air cleaner and mount it. just have to find someone to let me use a drill first =]
Lol, so who drilled the holes through your cab? I didn't think you installed those yourself.

Old 01-28-2009 | 04:36 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Just drill a few holes and it's all good.

Quick Reply: pcv valve hookup