2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1500 vs 2500

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 12:50 AM
Spartan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500 vs 2500

Alright i know the basic differance. But i was wondering is it simply suspension/drivetrain....or is the actual Frame/chasis different...

Old 02-22-2005, 11:35 AM
hipkinsd
Captain
Default RE: 1500 vs 2500

To the best of my understanding the frames are the same for the 1500 and 2500, but the suspension is different. The coil springs in front are heavier and the leaf springs in back are wider.

I know that going from the 2500 to the 3500 the frame changes pretty substantially.

One question I'd add is this: has anyone changed suspension over from 1500 to 2500, and if so how did you work with the rear springs' increased width? New brackets to bolt up to, I would assume?

Old 02-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Snafu

I wasn't aware of the width difference in the rear springs. The front springs are a heavier spring rate and sit about 2-1/2" higher. It is a pretty direct swap to put the 3/4 ton springs in a 1/2 ton. A lot of people do that to "level" the suspension of the 1/2 ton. Personally I don't like the look. I wouldn't swap in 3/4 ton rear leafs. It's way too much time and money for the benefits. Just put an extra leaf or two in the stock pack, or put a 2" add-a-leaf in it if you want a little extra height.

As far as drivetrain goes, most 3/4 tons have Dana 60 axles front and rear. They are MUCH heavier duty than the 1/2 ton axles. The biggest difference is that the ring and pinion gears and bearings are much larger, so they can handle more load. And the rear is a full-floater style, which has a much higher capacity. On a 1/2 ton semi-floater axle, the axle shaft rides directly on the wheel bearings, which means the weight of the truck is loaded directly on the axle shaft. On a full-floater style, the rear axle has a welded on spindle that the wheel bearings ride on, much like an older style front axle. The bearings are encased in a cast hub assembly, and the axle shaft bolts onto this hub. No weight from the vehicle is carried by the axle shaft. On top of this, all 4 axle shafts, all the u-joints, and all the brakes are a lot larger and heavier, so they can handle much more load.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:58 PM
stic
Professional

i also noticed that the 2500 has 4 wheel disks.this was an 02.
is this standard or an option.cause i sure had doing drum brakes.

snafu-
you say the 3/4 ton coil swap is a direct swap?just undo shock,compress spring install spring,reinstall shock?alignment is necessary im sure.i was thinkin bout adding the coil spacers but i might just do the hd coils,incase i wanna add a plow next year.sound like a good idea?if the coil spacers are 150 a set and i can get hd springs for 60 ea......no brainer?i can still use same shocks?
also,if the front sits a bit higher after the new coils are installed,i can just add a leaf to the rear to level?
thanx

Quick Reply: 1500 vs 2500