2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manual Locking Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Kaldir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Locking Hubs

I was thinking about getting manual locking hubs so that my whole front end won't be moving while I am driving. They are a pain, because you have to get out and turn then to use the 4 wheel drive. But I don't mind that much because my old Nissan had them, and I am use to it. What I want to know is how hard is it to install the kit, and has any one done it before. I know people say that you will improve your mpg because every thing is not moving, but I want to get people's opinion on that. Thanks guys!

Old 02-01-2009, 01:28 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I had them on my 68 bronco, didn't mind them either. They do greatly reduce the wear and tear on the front drive train and you'll get better gas mileage. (not sure on how much)

But , have you seen how much a kit cost ? Holy Cra... LOL Not sure it's worth it.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:19 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by zman17

But , have you seen how much a kit cost ? Holy Cra... LOL Not sure it's worth it.

Yes its expensive, but have you looked at the kit an seen what all comes with it? Theres lots of parts involved, like new outer axle shafts/bearings/lockouts/seals etc. And how much money have you dumped into replacing the junk hub bearings (which the kit replaces with a normal rebuild-able bearing)? Sure its expensive at first, but I think its well worth it in a long term point of view.

As far as installation goes its just fairly normal straight forward wrenching.

I have heard people gain usually around 1 MPG which is a fair amount of savings over a long period of time.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Long term for a 2nd generation Ram? JMO , but no way is it worth it, unless the truck is perfect and from the south, then maybe.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:47 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by zman17
Long term for a 2nd generation Ram?

Haha, thats is a good point

Old 02-01-2009, 08:06 PM
helms
All Star

I have been interested in this swap as well. If you look at the rediculously priced Dynatrack kit, it includes things like Chrome-moly stub shafts. i dont think this is totally nessecary. Does anyone know if there are any kits that dont use such expensive materials? Or maybe there was a D44 (in Kaldirs case) or a D60 (in my case) from another truck that used manual hubs that the parts will cross referance, that would be the find of the century if anyone knows. I dont mean to hijack, but i think its relavent

Old 02-01-2009, 10:17 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by helms
I have been interested in this swap as well. If you look at the rediculously priced Dynatrack kit, it includes things like Chrome-moly stub shafts. i dont think this is totally nessecary. Does anyone know if there are any kits that dont use such expensive materials? Or maybe there was a D44 (in Kaldirs case) or a D60 (in my case) from another truck that used manual hubs that the parts will cross referance, that would be the find of the century if anyone knows. I dont mean to hijack, but i think its relavent

Have you looked at the EMS kit? Heres a link if you havent http://emsoffroad.com/shop/index.php...4fb3b4036fafcd.

I dont know if you ever lurk around on pavementsucks.com but there is a guy that swapped parts in from an older axle to make his 2nd gen 60 with manual locking hubs. It sounded like a bunch of dinking around to me though.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:23 PM
helms
All Star

ya the ems kit seems a little more reasonable. I checked out PS, i signed up.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

Wow that is a lot of monies right there. Maybe take swap one from an Gen 2 ram from a junk yard? I know some of them did come with Manual hubs.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:53 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No 2nd Gen Ram came with locking hubs.

Quick Reply: Manual Locking Hubs