2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 05:21 PM
dpixley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Oil Filter

There has to be an easier way to change the oil filter on my '98 Ram 1500 318. When I change it oil runs out and all over my garage floor. I've tried using a plastic bag around the filter but it still make a big mess. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Snafu
Default RE: Changing Oil Filter

Yah, use a drip pan. Put it under the filter, and don't flip the filter over til it's close to the pan. I've got one that's got a place molded into it that you can set the filter upside down to let it drain.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Leonard
Veteran

A friend of mine pokes a hole in the filter to let it drain before he takes it off.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:40 AM
yodandrew

yah, im thinking oil pan too...

Old 02-23-2005, 08:15 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

another thought is to get one of those snow sausers... I use ours for all of my fluid changes... everything gets dumped into the sauser and is easy to clean up (I use a catch pan of course, but what ever splatters...).

Old 02-26-2005, 01:39 AM
websmith

You have to have a drain pan for the oil or it will go everywhere. If it's not big enough to cover your oil pan and filter drainage at the same time, do one first, seal and do the other next. Warm up your engine first and let it drain at least 15 minutes to get all the dirt out.

You can get a drain pan at autozone, etc. for less than $10. Then take the drain pan full of dirty oil back to autozone and they will empty it for you for free (for recycling).

Changing engine oil every 3,000 miles cannot be more stressed. People spend thousands on mods then wonder why their engines don't last! CLEAN lubrication is the key! Less dirt in the oil means less friction to wear out parts.

One last note. If your chassis requires lubrication and you don't have the tools or knowledge on how to lubricate it yourself, take it in every other oil change and have the oil AND lube job done.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:31 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to use a metal funnel with a flexible neck. Place it under the filter as you take it off and have the funnel drain into the pan.

Old 03-14-2005, 01:49 AM
websmith

That's a great idea. Aside from draining fluids in a sealed conntainer to be recycled. I have used old "turkey" roasting pans. They cost about $2.00 and are big enough to cover the oil pan and oil filter drainage too.

You can dispose of many things at Autozone, etc. for free.

You MUST claen the metal surface the new filter seals to and add a fresh clean oil seal to the new rubber oil band on the filter.

You wouldn't believe some of the dirt and grease that can fall and get in between the filter seal while installing it!!

J. R.

Quick Reply: Changing Oil Filter