2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Knocking noise somewhere between engine and transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Twelch2001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram 1500

Originally Posted by madmax0r
Howdy

I have been trying to track down this damn knocking noise for a long time now. I have herd all kinds of different theories over the last 3 weeks.

people thought it was a valve because I have a somewhat rough idle, then some thought it was a spun bearing knocking, the idle is a different problem entirely.. I also hear a slight vacuum leak

I took it to a shop today and he told me that its 100% not the engine, its coming from the torque converter/transmission

I also learned (not to my surprise) that this is not my original tranny.

My tranny is still shifting ok, and performs well, Has anyone had they're tranny make a knocking noise randomly? as far as I can tell, its not affecting its function

It pretty much does it at idle in park

thanks as always
I have a 2016 ram 1500 5.7 it's at dealer again for rattle in transmition, they keep telling me it's normal, but my sister in law bought a truck just like mine same day hers doesn't make noise

Old 11-20-2021, 12:52 PM
Bigg-Hec
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might have same issue on 2003 ram 1500 3.7L....it rattles in neutral and when I drive but no noise when clutch is in all the way...(wierd?)

Quick Reply: Knocking noise somewhere between engine and transmission