2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drop Pitman on 3" Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 PM
alaska ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop Pitman on 3" Lift?

Hello all, this is my first post, but I have been lurking a while...

I have a 98 1500 4x4 that I installed a BDS 3" coil lift on. The front steering components seem to be wearing out faster than normal and I am in the process of replacing tie rod ends, adding a Thuren track bar, and Energy Suspension sway bar bushings.

Do I need a drop pitman arm? BDS says no since it is only a 3" lift, but I have noticed some other 3" kits come with new pitmans. I don't mind spending the money if it will make a difference, but don't want to waste $60 either. Any suggestions?

Old 02-18-2009, 07:49 PM
TurboABA
Professional

I'm running a 3" suspension lift (Tuff Country) and I don't have a different pitman either. Make sure your aligment is on to keep the wear down on the front end. Larger tires will also increase the wear rate of those components, so keep that in mind.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

It was explained to me that the purpose of a drop pittman arm is to change the steering linkage angles to maintain a parallel plane with your track bar. This reduces bump steer, as well as decreasing effort and component wear.
With your truck on level pavement, look under it and observe the track bar and steering linkage angles. They should be as close to parallel as possible. It's normally not an issue on 3 inch lifts.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
It was explained to me that the purpose of a drop pittman arm is to change the steering linkage angles to maintain a parallel plane with your track bar. This reduces bump steer, as well as decreasing effort and component wear.
With your truck on level pavement, look under it and observe the track bar and steering linkage angles. They should be as close to parallel as possible. It's normally not an issue on 3 inch lifts.

Exactly.

At only 3" a drop pitman arm should not be needed when using a stock track bar with no drop bracket. But, if you are getting a track bar from Thuren I would suggest consulting with him (who happens to be a very nice person from what I have gathered) to see if it will be mounted in a different/lower location which will make it no longer parallel with the stock steering link.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:25 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I've seen some lifts that say to remove the drag link at the pitman arm and re-install it upside down. This lowers the attachment point giving the same result as a longer pitman arm. So I've read.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:50 PM
alaska ram
Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info, it sounds like I should leave well enough alone.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:29 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ramman18
I've seen some lifts that say to remove the drag link at the pitman arm and re-install it upside down. This lowers the attachment point giving the same result as a longer pitman arm. So I've read.

The hole in the pitman arm is tapered so that can not be done. But, some "drop" pitman arms are not actually dropped at all, but the taper is the other way so the drag link can be installed on the bottom.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:32 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by alaska ram
Thanks for all the info, it sounds like I should leave well enough alone.

Not necessarily. I would ask Don (or someone at Thuren Fab) when you get the new track bar. Because if the new track bar is mounted a little lower you may want a small drop pitman arm to make the steering parallel with it.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:28 PM
alaska ram
Default New Opinion

I got an e-mail back from Don Thuren and he said a 3" drop doesn't require any drop in the Pitman arm. I am going to take this as the final word. Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this.

Quick Reply: Drop Pitman on 3" Lift?