2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no 4WD!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:24 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no 4WD!

ok, i just got the motor back in the truck, y buddy wanted to go play in the mud, i told him i would watch.

i got out there and felt like doin some of my own. so i kicked her in 4wd and took off, noticing right away that i was not in 4wd. so i kept to the top of the stuff where it was soupy but doable, and turned the wheel, hit the gas and noticed for a real hard bumb, i have no 4wd.

i got back out on to alittle bit dry pavement, locked in 4wd, and then got out and tried to turn the drive shaft. ok the transfer case is engaged.

looked at the tubes for the front diff to lock in. and they are not bloced by anything or torn off, and then followed them all the way back into the transfer case. and the lines are still intact as far as i can tell.....

What can be causing this?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok, you are kinda vague, but are BOTH of the vacuum lines hooked back up? are you locking in 4wd and the indicator light is not coming on? if that the case there is a plug off of the wiring harness that is on the front end that is prolly unplugged. I am not real sure where it is supposed to be, because mine was left ziptied in two different locations to the fram after i got it back from the body shop.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

well the indicator light alwayssatyed on before, now its just not on at all anytime. where is that plug you are talking about because i never undid anything on the axle to pull the motor....

and yesboth vac lines are hooked up

Old 02-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

best I can tell, it attaches right behind the front bumper somewhere. I have never looked through a diagram to find out, it does hang kinda low Ill take a pic tomorrow if someone else doesnt chime in here.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:46 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

alright yea, that would be awesome...

i really want my 4wd to work. even if i never use it in the mud again, i am driving the truck up to ny in a few weeks and i need to have it working as to they just got hit with a snow storm...

Old 02-18-2009, 11:04 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 02-18-2009, 11:16 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok so could it just be the vacuum shift motor that went bad??? or would i be better off putting one fo those posi locks on?

EDIT: or better yet, is there a way i can test to se if i am getting vacum to either one of those lines? because i just want to make sure everthing is good until there. and then i will check that plug, nd thn the vacuum shfit , then just do the whole cad unit

Last edited by meanwhitemopar; 02-18-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

with truck running, in park, brake on, shift t-case to 2wd. crawl under the truck and feel for vacuum on the 2 hoses that come from the t-case to the cad. you should have vac on one of them. if you have a vac gauge, all the better. mark that hose as 2wd. now shift t-case to 4wd. check the other vac line. it should have vac now, and the other one shouldn't.

if the vac is good, then remove the cad from the axle. a small amount of oil will drip out, so have a pan. connect a vac source to one of the cad lines, then the other, the vac diaphram of the cad should move the shift fork back and forth. if it doesn't, than take the cad to the bench, and clean/free up the shaft. its probably froze up.

there's not much to the cad. most problems are either the t-case vac switch. the vac lines, or a stuck shaft inside the cad.

while the cad is off, look into the axle, and explore/test the coupler. it should easily slide back and forth. there's a bushing in there to keep things aligned. check it.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:30 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok i will check that tonight, i work, so i have to wait for things to settle down an theni can pull my truck in the rescue bay and its pretty open, so that is good. i will ive an update

Old 02-20-2009, 04:46 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You should have 15lbs of vacuum in those 2 lines. Only one at a time as DV stated.