2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manual Transmission on Driver's License Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:27 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Take it in what ever you want to. I took mine 15 months ago in my mom's honda oddzey. Pice of cake. I know ppl that have take it in cars and have failed.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well best of luck!!........ hope it don't turn out like mine, raining bad and i could keep the steam of the windows

Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine in a nissan pathfinder, manual transmission, actually everything I have ever owned and driven has been a manual transmission, now thats not saying much considering that has been the pathfinder, and my truck haha. I passed mine with flying colors, he just said to check my mirrors more often

Old 02-23-2009, 08:49 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeram07
well best of luck!!........ hope it don't turn out like mine, raining bad and i could keep the steam of the windows
Turn the A/C on defrost.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Turn the A/C on defrost.
i did, it was just a very rainy high humidity day i tryed the a/c on the defrost help sum but didn't do **** for the side window and back..lol

Old 02-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Gav1n8
Veteran

I took mine in my dodge ram with a 6 inch lift and 36 inch tires... Didn't have any problems but I'm not a crappy driver either...

Ima call the bs flag on two posts.... The one about the I know a stretch to see what the junky car you were in could do... That sounds like a joke... A horrible one...

and.... the one with driving in the rain. My uncle worked at dmv office. It's illegal to do your test drive in the rain...

Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Toob Cat

Originally Posted by 98cherryram
I took mine in a nissan pathfinder, manual transmission, actually everything I have ever owned and driven has been a manual transmission, now thats not saying much considering that has been the pathfinder, and my truck haha. I passed mine with flying colors, he just said to check my mirrors more often
Hope mine turns out this way! I have been driving manual since I was 14 out at our summer house on a basically vacant island

1988 Izuzu Trooper manual transmission FTW!!!!
haha

Old 02-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just make sure that you know where every little gizmo is located on the damn thing. By that I mean, When I took mine, I was in a 2002 Chevy Surburban. That thing had like three different defrost settings, and the examiner asked about all of them.
When it comes to the manual tranny, I have two words of advice: 1. dont rest your foot on the clutch, and take your time between shifts. 2. If you or your Mom is not in the habit of setting the parking brake after every drive, make sure who ever drives it to the place sets it when they get out, and that you set it when you finish.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:34 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't believe they would fail you if you stalled it. Where's the danger in that? When I got my CDL, I remember talking to other drivers who said they would grind every gear and stall and whatnot and the instructor didn't care at all. They're interested in turning, braking, checking mirrors, right of ways, backing up, etc. I highly doubt there's a line on the test "If subject is driving a manual transmission, were shifts smooth? Yes___No____"

Btw, did my parallel park in two moves. First try.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 PM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Gav1n8
I took mine in my dodge ram with a 6 inch lift and 36 inch tires... Didn't have any problems but I'm not a crappy driver either...

Ima call the bs flag on two posts.... The one about the I know a stretch to see what the junky car you were in could do... That sounds like a joke... A horrible one...

and.... the one with driving in the rain. My uncle worked at dmv office. It's illegal to do your test drive in the rain...

well, You have to realize, it was about twenty some odd years ago when I took it, the instructor I had, was an aquantance of my uncle, and the car wasn't junky, just the tranny was starting to slip.. The body and interior was perfect.. Me and my dad fixed the tranny later, that thing would do 0-60 in like 6.8.. It was a screamer... I miss that car.. I would be over 90 before I made it to the end of the entrance ramp to the freeway going to work.. It was a great car.. This was also my second attempt at passing the test, the first time I failed because I had a different guy, and I didn't stop at the stop sign, and roll up, I just stopped at the corner.. I had been driving since I was like 12, helping my Grandfather restoring cars.. So, I got used to just stopping at the corner and going.. Big mistake.. Anyway, the second time, I got this guy that knew my uncle, so it went much smoother..

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission on Driver's License Test