2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manual Transmission on Driver's License Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Toob Cat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Transmission on Driver's License Test

Hey guys,

This might not necessarily be in the right spot but w.e

Anyways, I take my driver's license test Wednesday here in Connecticut. Instead of taking it in the truck, I think I am going to take it in my mom's VW Rabbit which is a manual transmission. I am very smooth driving the car, and haven't stalled since like 5 months ago, a little bit after I got my learner's permit. I'd rather not take the truck due to the fact that back in parking it would be challenging for me, and back in parking the Rabbit is really easy.

So do you think driving the stick is a good idea? Any tips as well if any of you took it on a stick? Advice in general?

Thanks a lot!!!

Toob Cat

Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 PM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran

as long as you are really good with the stick, shouldn't be too much of a problem.. And the rabbit will be easier to handle, for sure.. I used to have a Rabbit.. Loved that little car mine was a 75 though... Her's is probably one of the new ones isn't it?

Anyway, I would definitely use the small car.. it will make it easier to pass...

JimK

EDIT

I took my test in my mom's chevelle, and the auto tranny was slipping... The instructor was sitting there, and the tranny wasn't shifting, so I let off the gas, popped the accelerator, to get it to shift, and kept on driving, he looked at me, said "If you can drive this, like that, you pass... Now lets see what this can do, take a right over here, I know a stretch of road.."

hehehe... And to think I was nervous going in...

Last edited by JimkDaAdtman; 02-23-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:34 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you can back up, steer, operate the pedals, and hit the right spot, you'll be fine. but if you stall it - they may fail you. go find a parking lot and practice until you can hit it perfect 10 times in a row.

i took my driving test with a manual transmission a really long time ago

Old 02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I take my driver's test in 2 years. I'm no help.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:36 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took mine in a 72 Buick Electra 225 ... a real land yacht. The instructor had me on an old lane and a half back road when he said, "Ok, turn around and head back" ... after my 7 point turn (thank God for power steering) he passed me.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i took mine in my dads 98 dodge caravan lol

Old 02-23-2009, 07:44 PM
divetruck
Professional

If your going to be driving the truck why not prove that you can drive it by passing your test in it instead of the rabbit?

The one thing that really bugs me are people that drive trucks and suvs cant drive em or park em. I love pulling into spots where one of these people gave it up trying.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:04 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

took it in the 66 stang. Definately one of the easiest cars to parallel park in my opinion. You can see right out the back window and see the corners of the car. Judging it was a piece of cake. Plus I love the big steering wheel that you can turn with your pinky finger. That is probably the one thing I miss the most is the steering. Just wish it wasn't a L6

Old 02-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Toob Cat

Originally Posted by divetruck
If your going to be driving the truck why not prove that you can drive it by passing your test in it instead of the rabbit?

The one thing that really bugs me are people that drive trucks and suvs cant drive em or park em. I love pulling into spots where one of these people gave it up trying.
Its not that I can't drive the truck, because I can and parking isn't that difficult for me. It's just I'd rather take it something more compact, with more handling and easier to back in.

Also, the truck isn't registered in CT yet; it was my grandpa's old truck and he recently passed away due to complications after his lung cancer surgery in which the tumor turned out to be benign. So technically I couldn't take it in the truck because there is no insurance or registration showing that the truck actually belongs to my family and I.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Toob Cat

sorry for the double post!!

Originally Posted by JimkDaAdtman

EDIT

I took my test in my mom's chevelle, and the auto tranny was slipping... The instructor was sitting there, and the tranny wasn't shifting, so I let off the gas, popped the accelerator, to get it to shift, and kept on driving, he looked at me, said "If you can drive this, like that, you pass... Now lets see what this can do, take a right over here, I know a stretch of road.."

hehehe... And to think I was nervous going in...
haha great story!!!!! im hoping my experience wednesday goes somewhat similar in the Rabbit. Ill post with an update on whether I passed or failed!

Thanks again!!!

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission on Driver's License Test