2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MSD is killing my pockets!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:39 AM
helms
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
I think the design of the v powers helps the kernal form and leads to better flame propagation.
i think you made that up, lol

Old 02-25-2009, 08:25 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's just an educated guess, I never claimed scientific fact.

But I know the bigger the gap is where the kernal starts (and the more room it has to grow) the bigger and faster the combustion process takes place. However, if you widen the gap too much the spark might jump late and there might be a miss at the point you should be making maximum power at TDC and full compression. The V power plugs keep the strap edges close to the electrode but give the Kernal a "center wedge" to expand.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:47 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
NGK's V-powers have worked great with my MSD 6A box. Run the stock heat gapped about .005 wider. They might be too cold and prematurely fouling. I think the design of the v powers helps the kernal form and leads to better flame propagation.

Right now I'm trying the NGK Iridiums to see if they hold up to the box longer. Tapping each plug 3 times a rotation burns the plugs, cap, and rotor up quickly.

I'll say this too....

I ran my truck for a month without the MSD box and then reconnected it, and the difference in off-the-line acceleration was very noticeable.
noticeble ??? i been thinking about getting the box, but evreone on here usally aganst it so i let it go and moved on to other mods lol.i have ngk iridiums and msd wires and coil i think the box would work well but im worried it will screw somethin up

Old 02-25-2009, 08:43 PM
helms
All Star

the concept of an ignition box is good, although storys like this one make it questionable. Check this out it should answer some questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacit...harge_ignition

Old 02-25-2009, 08:45 PM
helms
All Star

running a box in my vehicles is a no-brainer, its next on my to-do list for my truck. it smoothes things out and the multi-spark discharge, really helps the low rpm response

Old 02-26-2009, 08:03 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 That's the biggest noticeable gain for me as well. Especially when pushing the pedal down after idling.

My advice is to make sure you ground it away from the PCM and buy the Tach Adapter that goes with it.

Quick Reply: MSD is killing my pockets!!