2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cut off my muffler

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:48 AM
thewrench
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the diameter of the factory piping? My muffler is starting to rust off on my 5.9. I'm gonna replace it w/ something mild, i don't want crazy loud, just a nice deep tone.

Will a 2.5inch inlet mate w/ the stock pipe using band style clamp?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:09 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thewrench
Whats the diameter of the factory piping? My muffler is starting to rust off on my 5.9. I'm gonna replace it w/ something mild, i don't want crazy loud, just a nice deep tone.

Will a 2.5inch inlet mate w/ the stock pipe using band style clamp?
sounds like you would be happier with a magnaflow instead of a flowmaster. nice deep tone and not extremly loud.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:14 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Flowmaster for sale right here needs to go!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my cousin cut his muffler off on his 98 5.9 and i couldent think right,the drone was awesome and it was a stock cat on it too, couldent imagine with a highflow cat

Old 03-03-2009, 12:05 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

there is a difference... quality!

Old 03-03-2009, 12:16 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I highly doubt you will notice any power difference at all if you put a muffler back on it. You will just have it quieter. I've never noticed much of a difference from an exhaust on much of anything I've ever put one on.

That being said in a lot of states you can still get a ticket with one of those mufflers for being too loud. Some states have laws saying it can't be any louder than stock. Now not all enforce them and I've never gotten a ticket for my exhaust on my truck although I have been asked about it but it's still not legal and it has a Flowmaster 40.

Just because you have a muffler doesn't make it legal. You can still get a ticket for a lot of the mufflers out there if the cop wants to be a dick. This is in several states I know anyway.

I know when I looked it up for I think it was PA. It was some state for someone on here you could have them louder there but they still had noise limits. Some states say no louder than stock.

That being said I'm not sure what a straight piped ram would sound like as the only one I've heard not sure if it was a Ram or Dakota sounded okay but was super duper loud.

That being said my buddy has a F-150 with stock cat's. He said it has 4 cats but idk and he cut the muffler off as it was falling off and it honestly sounds better than my truck to me. It's also no louder and I'm not sure it's even as loud as mine. I have a Magnaflow high flow cat and a FM 40 muffler. I know his is a totally different motor though. If mine sounded like his I would have just saved the money and not run a muffler. Mine may sound that good without one I'm not sure as I've never tried.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:34 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

If ya ain't got the muffler then why cut the old one off?

Old 03-03-2009, 05:51 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

thats why a cut out may be good have it loud when you want, and close it when you want it thew the muffler

Old 03-03-2009, 07:33 PM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lastrights
my cousin cut his muffler off on his 98 5.9 and i couldent think right,the drone was awesome and it was a stock cat on it too, couldent imagine with a highflow cat
When I bought my truck it didn't have a muffler on it just a straight 2.5" pipe from the bach of the cat to the end where it split off into 2 tail pipes. I decided to increase the straight pipe to 3" recently and my truck isn't running as good. I'm going to install a muffler on it either the thrush or the flowmaster. I have read many a threads that states if you are running a stock motor that if it doesn't have a certain amount of back pressure it will start to burn the edges of the valves because the exhaust gas is leaving too fast. Now the question I have is the guy who does my exhaust work is real good and he stated he had a muffler in stock that's the exact same as the flowmaster 40 series but it's by a different manufacturer. He said that Flowmaster's patent had expired and the gov't had not renewed it so now a lot of muffler manufacturers are turning out the same design but only changing the color a little to be within the guidelines. What do you think? Also the Dynomax Thrush muffler from Summit does not come in a single center inlet and outlet....at least not what I saw, does anyone know if they do and is so could you post the link? Thanks.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:47 PM
96RamSLT
Veteran

cherry bomb extreme.

Quick Reply: Cut off my muffler