2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cut off my muffler

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:07 PM
vmann
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut off my muffler

Cut it off yesterday because im about to put on a new muffler. Well i havent bought the new muffler yet so im running around without one for a while. Ive heard that Horsepower is lost and that mpg's and torque go up. I havent really noticed anything yet but i keep hearing that backpressure is defiantly lost. I just need some input. I dont really care if the cops pull me over or whatever so im not afraid to keep it like this.. I just want to get better MPG's and performance. Im looking to buy this muffler because its pretty much the same thing as a flowmaster 40. Should i go with the dynomax or just keep the muffler off? http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Old 03-02-2009, 09:22 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vmann
I dont really care if the cops pull me over or whatever so im not afraid to keep it like this
ticket VS 30 muffler

lets see, if i was a cop(lol) young kid driving a loud truck, pull you over and look to see if you have muffler, and can see that you just cut it off,,,,hhmmmm ticket

that would be a hard ticket to get out of.

30bucks to play it safe or risk a ticket that will most likly be more.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Its acually $20. Want mine?

Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vmann
Cut it off yesterday because im about to put on a new muffler. Well i havent bought the new muffler yet so im running around without one for a while. Ive heard that Horsepower is lost and that mpg's and torque go up. I havent really noticed anything yet but i keep hearing that backpressure is defiantly lost. I just need some input. I dont really care if the cops pull me over or whatever so im not afraid to keep it like this.. I just want to get better MPG's and performance. Im looking to buy this muffler because its pretty much the same thing as a flowmaster 40. Should i go with the dynomax or just keep the muffler off? http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
You lookin to get a Dynomax super turbo? I have one for sale if you want it. I had it for a year but up graded to dual exhaust flows. I ran with no muffler for a couple of days and, in my humble opinion, it sucked nard!!! besides it was to loud for me. Its cool every once in a while, but after a while I was like "shut the hell up already". I actually was reading on the summit racing tech advice that a muffled system is better than running open pipes, mpg wise.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
96RamSLT
Veteran

throw a muffler on it.. running no muff sounds almost as bad as open headers.. stupid kids.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:00 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

i fired mine up in the shop with out a muffler on it when i was redoing the exhaust system, and it was ****in loud

Old 03-02-2009, 10:02 PM
vmann
Veteran

i actually didnt cut it all off. I just cut the pipe and moved the muffler part to the side. That way it still looks like the muffler is on. And for those that have the dynomax and are interested in selling PM me please =]

EDIT: oh and at work today i drove a truck that had the stock muffler THEN a flowmaster.. it was loud but seemed pretty pointless. dont think it did anything but make noise

Old 03-03-2009, 12:59 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

flowmaster is the way to go.. they are plenty loud

Old 03-03-2009, 06:39 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What kind of Flowmaster?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 AM
vmann
Veteran

there is no difference between the dynomax and the flowmaster. Look at them.. they are the exact same thing lol.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Quick Reply: Cut off my muffler