2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Matching factory tint

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:29 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory tint is usually around a 18% from what I've heard. Most guys use either 15% or 20% to match it depending on the brand. Either should be a close match.

I'd probably go with Llumar ATC 15% if it was me. It's dyed but to me the ATR just has a slight greenish look to it as do some others. The ATR and ATC I've tried have both been 5% though so it's compared to 5% over the factory but basically the color of the factory. The ATC was a close match color wise and the ATR was not a good match. Just looked greenish compared. One brand another shop here uses has a greenish hint too and it's not Llumar. It seems way worse as far as green. I don't know why a lot of metallic tint seems to look green but the ones I've had experience with did.

Dyed doesn't last as long in most cases or have as good of heat rejection in most situations but it looks better imo.

Be advised in almost all if not all states it's illegal to tint your front windows dark enough to match the rear's so It's up to you. I'm not responsible if you do it.

I think there might be one state that allows that dark but I'm not sure on each states laws so check them out for yourself.

The only time I've had 20% tint it was 20% over the rear slider and it wasn't too dark at night but it was hard to see out of compared to untinted windows. The 5% was pretty hard to see out of at night unless you were in a well lit area. The 5% over the factory is even worse. I like it and got used to it but I did quite often find myself rolling the windows down to see out of. I could see lights on other cars but not much else. On sunny days it was great and fine. On cloudy days it wasn't great but not too bad either.

I've heard 20% isn't too bad to see out of at night and I know the factory glass wasn't horrible when I had the rear stock. I've never had any experience with 20% unless it was the rear though. Actually I take that back a buddy has it on his F150 and it's pretty darn dark at night too. Him and another buddy that have it on their Ram both have told me it's dark and hard to see out of at night too. I've never ridden in the Ram at night with 20%. It's slightly faded as it's old. Both are actually. Not purple really but one is just a hint blue and the other bluish purple but not like the cheapo stuff.

35% is quite a bit lighter but it's also legal in some states so that's why guys do it.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 03-09-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Matching factory tint