2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TPS Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009 | 03:39 PM
RAZRAM
|
Professional
Default TPS Cleaning

followed the instructions on the tps cleaning on the DIY because my rpms slowly drop back down to idle when the truck is rev'd up, and installed it back in and it is still the same, should i replace the TPS?

Old 03-14-2009 | 04:40 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

This is my story, and others have different ones:

I did the DIY TPS cleaning, and then a few months later I ended up replacing the TPS b/c it went bad.

Moral: Just buy a new one. About $55...give or take.

Old 03-14-2009 | 04:50 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i don't buy into cleaning TPS either. its an electrical thing. just replace it.

Old 03-14-2009 | 06:04 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

i really dont see how cleaning it would do anything. there's really nothing to clean about it. its just a little flat head piece that goes into the sensor and the sensor just spins inside when the throttle is moved. not a whole lot that can go wrong with that. lol

Old 03-14-2009 | 06:40 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by wjxavier
not a whole lot that can go wrong with that. lol
mechanically, nothing goes wrong with it. but electrically, its a variable resistor of some sort that takes a 5 volt ? reference signal and outputs something like .6 volts at idle and higher voltages at more throttle.

i've replaced mine twice.
-once to fix a dead spot in the throttle, also wouldn't hold speed on cruise and downshifted a lot.
-the second time was surging idle that i swore, i mean SWORE was an IAC problem, until it set a CEL P0123, which i kept trying to ignore and finally listened to the pcm, which was right.

Old 03-14-2009 | 07:05 PM
Mudbone25
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
-the second time was surging idle that i swore, i mean SWORE was an IAC problem, until it set a CEL P0123, which i kept trying to ignore and finally listened to the pcm, which was right.
This is exactly what happend to my truck. i replaced the iac 2 times and it didnt fix anything. I then cleand the TPS and its worked since. Its not like its hard to do and it doesnt cost anything so its worth a shot.. I didnt think it was going to work eaither but it did and saved me some money. I wouldnt waste time trying it more then once.

Old 03-14-2009 | 08:00 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

To the OP,
You didn't happen to mess with the throttle adjustment screw on the side of the TB, did you?
The reason I ask is because that screw can affect how the engine throttles down after you rev it.
If you close the plates too much, the IAC plays hell and causes the engine to buck and sputter.
Open them too much, and the RPM's will hang and the engine
Won't rev down, which can play hell with you trying to brake against an engine that's still pushing the vehicle.

Old 03-14-2009 | 09:20 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

on my truck, the screw has a cap on the TB you cant get off without working at it. plus, my plates are closed when it's idling. is that normal?

Old 03-15-2009 | 02:32 AM
RAZRAM
|
Professional

didnt touch anything but the sensor. and it has been doing this, so i think im just gonna try getting a new one and see what happens. if it dont work then oh well its only like $45

Quick Reply: TPS Cleaning