2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:39 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say intrusive, do you mean it looked overbearing looking in the front end? If you're running one stabilizer, then I see no need for me to run two. Do you have any suggestions with which one to go with? Also, do you have any person preferences? I've looked at Monroe, Skyjacker, BDS, Fabtech, Rough Country, etc. There are basically a ton of them.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will say this much...in my case I can tell a difference, but mostly on the highway. A steering stabilizer is basically a shock, and just like a shock, it can wear out. At lower speeds, you won't see much of a difference, since the lower speed creates a higher friction while turning. Just like a bicycle...when you are rolling slowly, you can feel the tire grab more when you try to turn. Then when you are rolling faster, the surface tension between the tire and road is reduced, making the wheel turn easier. A vehicle is the same way. That's why I noticed most of the difference on the highway. It feels stiffer. My dad has an '02 with the stock stabilizer, and from time to time I drive his rig and can tell a definite difference. I think it was worth my $40 investment to have a tighter feel on the highway...just my .02

Old 03-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The dual setups just don't fit good, so the hang down kinda low. That's what I mean. They look cool, but if you actually wheel your truck, I think they hang down too low.

I replace my stabilizer about once a year. They get a lot of use and abuse, and I think it is work the investment. I like the Skyjacker Hydro's and the Rancho.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
The dual setups just don't fit good, so the hang down kinda low. That's what I mean. They look cool, but if you actually wheel your truck, I think they hang down too low.

I replace my stabilizer about once a year. They get a lot of use and abuse, and I think it is work the investment. I like the Skyjacker Hydro's and the Rancho.
x2...I like my Sj for the price. And you can tell when you lay it next to the stock one, it is a lot beefier.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, thanks guys for your help. I'll probably pick up a new one when I replace the coils up front. Now I'm just hoping my shocks will work with the 3" coils up front lol.

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer