2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question about straight pipes on a dodge ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:32 PM
mr.318
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call it halfass if you want but if it sounds good and is way cheaper than a shop works for me

Old 03-17-2009, 10:35 PM
360dodgeram360
Professional

there is nothing wrong with hacking your exhaust. A lot of "half ***" aka cheap exhaust systems sound really good. and can look good if hacked the right way!lol

Old 03-17-2009, 10:45 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

To me, it seems silly to touch the exhaust system at all if it isn't going to improve upon the stock look. All this junk about cutting pipes off and having it dumped underneath the bed is just trashy. If you take pride in your truck, and want a nice rumble, spent a little extra money and have a professional bend you up some nice new piping. Then you'll have something to be proud about your truck. On the other hand, half the guys I see with "cut off" exhaust systems usually have trucks that match the quality of the exhaust, so I suppose it makes sense in that instance. But if you have a nice pickup truck that you care about; give it a treat, and hook it up with the works.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 PM
360dodgeram360
Professional

who the hell looks under a 2wd truck? i dont put mirrors on the ground everywhere i go. (but am not afraid to) but its not about the look as much as the sound. and the sound is fantastic. and if it was about looks i think that a turndown under the cab is a better look than that huge rusty muffler and 90 degree bend single tail pipe that the trucks have stock.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:30 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcwEvAcxwm0

heres a vid of my old straight pipes, go to my other vids and there are different setups.....that summit kit looks like a great price, my local muffler shop(which is dirt cheap) charges $125 just for tailpipes, no tips, no muffler........as having a dumped muffler looking trashy and whatever, i dont believe that for 1 second......i personally dont care for 2 big tips stickin out the back, they rust and get dirty and end up looking worse than stock....just about every hick truck around here looks like that.....there are some marvelous show trucks that have guess what, ...........dumped mufflers!?!?!?!?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:44 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yeah the tips are going to rust if they aren't taken care of...Whenever I get a car wash, I get down on my hands and knees like a mad man and wipe those suckers down every time. Then I apply a finish of chrome polish to shine and protect them. I hate tips out the back...boring. I like them going behind each rear tire with the tips on their sides. I don't mind "dumps"...but I don't like dumps that were product of just being cut off. You could still run a new cat + muffler, and then run turn downs off the muffler. That wouldn't be my taste, but at least it's cleanly done.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:20 AM
acsamples79
Veteran

i say just go buy a new stainless steel pipe bend it at a 45 before or after rear wheel and forget the muffler, sounds good, looks great, put a nice tip on it and you cant go wrong

Old 03-18-2009, 05:36 AM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cia24
Link please.
I don't know if this helps or not but when I bought my truck it had the original cat and then a straight 2.5 in pipe without a muffler that split into 2 tailpipes. It sounded good but I noticed that it would sometimes loose power. So thinking I was a genious i removed the 2.5 in pipe and replaced it with a 3 in. Well things got worse. So I installed a Flow Master Super 40 muffler 3 inch center in/out and the truck was quieter but it ran much better then on a recommendation from a friend a mechanic I started running the middle grade gasoline instead regular unleaded and my truck ran even better. No more cylinder 5 misfires and rough idling. I have better throttle response, power, and increased MPG. I always read that these trucks don't run too good unless it has some exhaust restriction allowing the O2 sensors to work better and slowing down the exhaust gases past the valves. This works for me and I have the 360 V-8.

Quick Reply: Question about straight pipes on a dodge ram