2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help, spark plug static

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, definitely check/re-torque your plugs...those guys who put the wires on probably kept your looms...if they were performance wires, they should have come with some.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Really dirty wires won't make the best conductors either. Oil is mainly carbon which is a semiconductor and can reroute your spark energy away from your plug gap. Not so likely with newer cleaner parts but I've seen carbon traces build up in distributor caps as well and cause misfiring.

Try cleaning them up real well and see if it changes anything.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
Really dirty wires won't make the best conductors either. Oil is mainly carbon which is a semiconductor and can reroute your spark energy away from your plug gap. Not so likely with newer cleaner parts but I've seen carbon traces build up in distributor caps as well and cause misfiring.

Try cleaning them up real well and see if it changes anything.
Everything is new. Wires, cap. rotor. Was all replaced.

DIdnt get to check anything today, had some more AF crap i had to do today, and more tom. Looks like i wont be getting under the hood until tom. afternoon. Side note though, went to AA auto and they had **** for looms.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure you fix the problem and not put the looms on to hide the problem. I think your wired are bad. I know you said they are new but you could have a bad set. Your wires should not be arcing even without loom.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:22 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you do have a bad wire where the insulation is cracked or cut out in mid wire (not at the ends) and you just want a cheap band-aid, sometimes you can put a piece of rubber hose over the wire to contain the short and stop it from arc'ing out to ground. you can use vacuum hose or fuel line, or anything. just keep it off your exhaust.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Well, today i checked all the plugs. All were torqued to 30 lbs. I did the wire reroute and checked all the wires. No cuts, no anything. Checked the connections to the cap and plugs. All are seated fine. Ill check tonight to see if i notice any arching again. If there is still arching ill be returning these wires for a new set asap.

Aubrey: Dont worry bro, i take care of my Ram. This babys gonna last me forever. Ill def replace the wires if they still arch. I understand what your saying. We'll see when its dark again. So far everything seems alright. Guess we'll find out.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Well i went for a run and there was no arching. BUT, when i got back i popped the hood again to make sure..and sure enough there was the blue pulse again. Very very small pulse this time not like before. Wires are seperate after the reroute so im thinking theyre arching to the valve covers. Looks like im going to be getting new wires. Im kinda iffy about getting MSD now but they have a good rep. Maybe ill just go up to 8.5 mm wilres and see how those work. Or just try another set of 8mm. Only problem is with the 8.5mm i have to assemble them myself and i really dont feel like doing that. XD

Either way, looks like im going down to AA auto tom. Cool side note though, i had a lot less pinging at WOT with the wires routed. So maybe a fresh (working) set will solve that issue.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Went to AA auto today. Theyre going to replace my wires free of charge. Hopfully this set will work.

Quick Reply: Help, spark plug static