2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front right axel is loose.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Frogsnot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front right axel is loose.

I desperatly need help on this one. My front right tire started out making noise everytime i turned left and at first i figured it a was mud rubbing between my brakes or something. But yesterday i took a look at it and my entire axel shifts in and out up and down and i know that shouldnt happen. Im thinking i messed something up in my pumpkin. im hoping someone on here might have a clue about of what it could be. i didnt really think it could be a seal really but idk. im thinking of pulling my axel out today and looking to see if it could be bearings or maybe its something as small as that brass horseshoe keeper in my pumpkin. im not sure any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

this is a dodge ram 1998 4x4 with the 5.9 liter v8. any more info just ask.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:46 PM
HellaciousHemi
Veteran

The front axles don't use C-clips. They are retained by the bearing hub assembly. At least from what I have come across. I have a '98 1500 w/ a 5.2L. Your bearing hub could be bad, if you have a clicking, your u-joint(s) is shot too. When mine started going bad I could hear the growl on turns from the roller bearings. As for the moving in & out, I couldn't tell you right off the top of my head. Hopefully its nothing major.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:49 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

The right side is the split axle so your diff is probably fine.

Last edited by TMS Bill; 03-28-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 03-28-2009, 01:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

jack up the front and shake each tire top/bottom, left/right, in/out. should be NO movement. if there is any, you have a bad bearing. i changed mine recently and it wasn't too bad other than the torques are tight and you need some pull bars and impact. good time to replace brakes too. bearings are expensive at $180 each.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/hub.php

Old 03-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Frogsnot

ok thanks, hopefully its just a bearing then. It moves all around like you said so im gonna hope for that. heading outside right now to work on it so if its any diffrent suppose ill be back with another question.

Quick Reply: Front right axel is loose.