2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why the 180 degree thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jungle
I thought I remember reading long ago that certain cylinders run hotter than others. This lead to pinging in those particular cylinders. One fix was to simply put a lower temp t-stat in.

I do know that my 5.2l seems happier when towing w/ the 180 in vs the 195; I do have to swap it out in the winter if I want decent heat in the cabin (but I think the shop that did the heater/evaporator core messed up the blend door or something...but that is another issue).
Actually, it's better to run a different heat range plug for the hotter cylinders. All the 180º t-stat is doing is fooling the computer into running an open loop.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I think the closed loop tip-off point is well below 180 though..... on the GM's that I am most familiar with, it was 106*, and that was on a vehicle that did NOT have heated O2 sensors.... on the OBDII cars/trucks, with a heated O2, once it warms up, and is giving accurate readings, (just a few short minutes...) might just as well pay attention to it. (closed loop)

Some trucks WILL whine about the lower temp stat though...... they seem to feel that NOT getting to the expected 195, or thereabouts, is a problem.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:44 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the reason for the 180* stat is that is the starting point for future mods. (the sct needs a 180 to perform right)

Old 12-10-2010, 04:05 PM
ram74jt
Amateur

The heat in my cabin sucks now that its winter. I installed the 180 t stat earlier this summer along with the sct tuner. Is this common for the heat in the cabin to drop significantly? It will eventually get warm after a good 15 minute drive but not like the blistering heat it had in the past with the 195 in there. I did have work done with the intake so I image the coolant was replaced by the shop. Could there be a bubble of air in the heater core?

Old 12-10-2010, 04:31 PM
slider15004x4
Veteran

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Actually, it's better to run a different heat range plug for the hotter cylinders. All the 180º t-stat is doing is fooling the computer into running an open loop.
If you were running open loop because of the lower tstat your mpg would be non existent. Plus there would be times you would be running really lean and other times rich. The motor can't keep an accurate a/f ratio without being closed loop. Open loop just dumps a predetermined amount of fuel to keep the motor running when it's cold and will only stay open loop for a few minutes.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by ram74jt
The heat in my cabin sucks now that its winter. I installed the 180 t stat earlier this summer along with the sct tuner. Is this common for the heat in the cabin to drop significantly? It will eventually get warm after a good 15 minute drive but not like the blistering heat it had in the past with the 195 in there. I did have work done with the intake so I image the coolant was replaced by the shop. Could there be a bubble of air in the heater core?
That would be my first guess. Given that the temp difference is a whopping 15 whole degrees.... your outlet temps on your heater should still be at least 150 or so.... if yours are just barely **** warm, then you are in the same boat I am, and I have a 195 degree stat..... Went out to play with it, and found an empty driveway...... Daughter took the truck. Hard to work on it when it isn't here....... (but, it IS warmer that way, for me at least.)

Quick Reply: Why the 180 degree thermostat?