2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"sputtering" engine on my 5.9 liter ......need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 PM
petea216
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't take water in the fuel out of the equation quite yet. My neighbor was fighting a problem with his Ford F-250 for a few months. It was running like garbage with sputtering, hesitation, and the occasional backfire very intermediately. He went through coils, dry gas, pcv valve, new vacuum hoses, and finally took it to a dealer. They showed him the gallon of water they recovered from the bottom of his fuel tank. Problem has been gone since (spring of last year)

Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM
pjw1967
Veteran
Default Stuttering at low rpm

Originally Posted by zxcvbnm
I've been having an occasional problem with a "sputtering" engine on my 2002 Ram 1500 (5.9 liter).

Here's the scenario: ......The motor starts & idles just fine, and also accelerates from an initial dead stop just fine. However, a frequent problem has been occurring when I let off the gas in order coast through a yield or come to a stop. Then, when I gently accelerate after just letting off the gas, it tends to sputter & hesitate, but runs great at full power after I get above 25mph or so. This problem only occurs at slower speeds. If I pull the truck over while it is still sputtering, then turn off the engine & re-start it, the engine runs fine again. I am not getting any "Check Engine Light" or error codes (DTC's) activated.

Here's what I've tried so far: ......Installed new spark plugs & wires (re-routing them to permit adequate isolation), cleaned the cap & rotor contacts, removed & thoroughly cleaned the entire Throttle Body, installed new Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) & Throttle Position TP Sensor (TPS), verified proper vacuum w/ no leaks detected, verified no leak in the plenum, the PCV is good, & both of the upstream Oxy Sensors were just replaced. I have also temporarily connected a fuel pressure gauge, and the monitored pressure remains steady at 49psi (with NO noticeable fluctuation). I've disconnected the battery (& drained all residual power) several times in order to reset the PCM.

I was wondering if this is due to a glitch in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), and if I need to get the computer re-programmed in order to resolve the problem. "AutomotiveComputerExchange.com" can provide a fresh re-programmed PCM for around $280, but I was wondering if this is a necessary step to take.

Any advice-help would be appreciated. Thanks!

(2002 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Sport Quad-Cab 4x4, 5.9 liter, automatic, 79000 miles)
New to the board but not to D's. I hope I didn't miss a similar reply. Pardon me if I did. Had an '00 SLT 5.9. Same issue. One day I started it up and got the stuttering. Next day I was idling waiting for a friend and it stuttered again. OK at higher revs. Searched out the problem and someone posted it was a precursor to battery failure. Sure enough. Had the battery checked. One cell was going bad. Not enough voltage at low rpm's for the computers, etc to run properly. Changed out the battery and problem gone. Almost too simple. BTW, it happened again a few years later. Houston heat is murder on a battery. I was leaving work when it happened. Shut it off and got a colleague to take me and the battery to Wal-Mart. Didn't bother to get it checked. Back to the D with a new one, popped it in, started right up, stuttering gone.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:28 PM
petea216
Professional

A short INSIDE the battery!!! The EXACT same thing happened to my Sierra!! I can't believe I forgot about that!

Old 02-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Cali7312
Rookie

Clogged cat or bad 02s?

Old 02-18-2013, 12:43 PM
b2500ramvan01

to the origional poster
I had thesame problem truck only sputtered under a load i checked for spark and had it couldnt figure this out until 2 weeks ago i saw a video on testing the coil and tried it again ,the spark would jump 20,000 volts but no more theni noticed it was intermitent so i bought a new coil and she is running great again (for now ) she sat for 3 months now and i used the wifes jeep as my new work truck lol
so long story short check your coil for good strong spark
good luck

Old 10-29-2017, 09:23 PM
Badass Dodge
Default Same deal 02 Ram 1500 5.9

So,I blew my head gasket. New gasket,valve job,intake gaskets,new gaskets for injectors,new manifold gaskets,replaced timing belt,distributer cap and rotor,plugs and wires. Have a skip every since. Replaced 02 sensors,catalytic converter. STILL have a kiss. Only does it when I go into overdrive or at low speeds.Anyone ever come up with a fix?

Old 10-29-2017, 09:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Check plug wire routing.

Quick Reply: "sputtering" engine on my 5.9 liter ......need advice!