2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 2500 Headlight problems.....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:28 AM
HDRAMman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 2500 Headlight problems.....HELP

I have a 2001 Ram 2500 HD. The low beams do not turn on. I checked fuses, all good. I checked the switch, bought a new one. I checked bulbs. All running lights, dash lights, turning signals work. Low beams do not work. High beams work but do not click on, I have to hold the switch back to keep the high beams on. I've just been driving around with my fog lights and running lights on for about a month and a half or two.

Anyways there is a cop that sits in a parking lot near my house that I always pass. He let me go without a problem, but the other day he pulled me over and asked me why I drive around with no headlights. Blah blah blah, get my headlights fixed or he'll start givin me tickets.

Please help me problem shoot this and soon! I think the headlights on these trucks are a common problem, or so I've heard.

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which switch did you replace? Sounds like the dimmer (multi-function switch) or if you have the tilt column some wiring in it.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Sounds like a real dick. You have two forward facing white lights that allow you to see ... WTF does he care if they're factory or not.

Now that I've vented, since you've already replaced the light switch (replaced it, yes?) remove the steering column covers and check the wiring to the multifunction switch. You might have a busted wire there or the switch might be bad.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:17 PM
HDRAMman
Professional

Yeah, had a feeling he was havin a bad day and wanted to vent somehow. But anyways I really do need to fix my headlights, the fogs are low to the ground and only allow limited visibility at most, and holding the brights and havin people honk on gets old.

Yes I replaced the dimmer switch, the one that turns the light on and off. I haven't removed the steering column cover yet, I'll do that and hopefully it works. This is all a huge headache because shortly after I bought it I had to dump $1800 into the electrical system.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:49 AM
HDRAMman
Professional

And you get the column cover off how? I'm sure its easy, haven't messed with it yet, just seeing of there something I need to know.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:54 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Have you downloaded the Merry Christmas service manual, yet? If not, search for "Merry Christmas" and snag it. The FSM is for the '01 and will help you immensely.

I'd tell you what to do but I've never had mine off and would probably steer you wrong. Someone who's done it might be monitoring this thread and chime in ... or just get the book and read up on it.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:17 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

From the sounds of it, you've replaced your on/off switch, and not the multifunction lever switch on the steering column. That multifunction switch has been known to occasionally have issues, so thats what I'd do next.

I even have a spare I can ship you, brand new in the plastic. Just gotta dig it out of my garage. Bought one online, had some shipping problems with it (eBay), so went to the junkyard and got one. Then, low and behold, before I can ask for my money back, the online ordered one shows up at my front door.

It cost me $45 + shipping. My local junkyard charges the same, $45 for a "grade A" condition switch, only this one is brand new, never used. PM me if you want it, and we'll hash out something (I don't want $45 for it).

As far as getting to it inside the column...

+1 for downloading the service manual from the Merry Christmas thread. It came in handy for me.

You'll need a special "hollow" starred screwdriver. Looks similar to a regular starred screw driver, but it has to have a hole in the middle of the bit. Sears sells them, but they ain't cheap. I can't remember for sure, but I got one of their smaller sets (like six different sized bits) for future use, and it cost around $80-$100 IIRC. Don't look at local auto parts stores, they don't have them (trust me, I tried). An ex-Chrysler $tealership mechanic who worked at one of them told me Sears is pretty much the only ones who carry them besides the $tealership.

After you get that bit, replacing the multifunction switch isn't hard at all. Just a matter of removing some bolts and some "deep" bolts (make sure you have a long, skinny screwdriver).

Last edited by jasonw; 04-15-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:28 PM
helms
All Star

the bit your talking about is called an "anti-tamper torx", and i found a set of 6 that fit into a multi screwdriver for $9, they arent professional quality, but if you treat them properly they work fine, i use mine quite a bit.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:58 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Where did you find 'em that cheap?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:54 PM
helms
All Star

we have a place called KMS Tools, its kind of a wholesale tool place. i dont know what kind of stores you have, but they sell mostly cheaper no-name brands, which is good for little tools you will probobly only use once or twice.

Quick Reply: 01 2500 Headlight problems.....HELP