2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Noise under load from the engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 PM
sit22 II
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise under load from the engine

96 ram 1500 with 5.2
i need some help
lately this clicking sound its been coming from the pass side head, i heard the noise everytime the truck is under load it wont do it in neutral or park
i was looking around and i found a tsb about routing the wires did that but nothing the noise still there
when this was done i used zipities insted of the clips that the tbs sujests
the thing is that i dont know how a spark nock sounds like
ne of the things that i was thinking too was that one of the rockers arms are loose but idk why it only happens when there is load
any help will be good.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:58 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

light spark knock is a sort of pinging sound. usually if you press the gas harder it pings harder and louder. if you let up on the gas, the pinging is reduced.

heavier spark knock is a clattering sound, like the engine is full of marbles. also is heavier under load (uphill or heavy throttle).

spark knock does not occur at idle or reving the motor in neutral/park.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:45 PM
sit22 II
Rookie

thanks
did any of u guys had this happend before ?

Old 04-18-2009, 12:45 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

All the time. These motors love to ping. Make sure its tuned up and run Seafoam through it. Also do a search for 'plenum gasket'. You can read on it for a couple months.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:42 PM
sit22 II
Rookie

today i will try getting gas in a diff gas station higher octane to see if it helps.
did anyone try reprograming the computer by the dealer? there was a tsb for this to

Old 04-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Ow. Ok, fine. Yes, the dealer has a flash that reduces power to combat ping. It is called the deathflash by anyone who has it. (me included). DO NOT GET THIS. I repeat, DO NOT GET THIS. The only way to get any power and mileage back is to buy a programmer or custom flash.

You can try higher octane but seriously, if you really are this green, pm me so I can give you all the info. I've fought this since 2001. And do a search, please. There's soooooo much info on ping it's funny.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:01 AM
jagass
Professional

I never experienced that before, good for me...lol

Old 04-19-2009, 08:49 AM
sit22 II
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Ow. Ok, fine. Yes, the dealer has a flash that reduces power to combat ping. It is called the deathflash by anyone who has it. (me included). DO NOT GET THIS. I repeat, DO NOT GET THIS. The only way to get any power and mileage back is to buy a programmer or custom flash.

You can try higher octane but seriously, if you really are this green, pm me so I can give you all the info. I've fought this since 2001. And do a search, please. There's soooooo much info on ping it's funny.
thanks for all the info man.
yea the flash was my last option. i was thinking about the sea foam but im afraid its gona was wash off carbon residues and make the engine run crapi but than again there is not that many miles in this truck.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Seafoam is supposed to wash the carbon off. That's its job. If you're leary, you can use Chevron Techron but you'll need probably five bottles to do what Seafoam does in the tank. Or get Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner (MCCC) from the dealer. Works pretty good too.

You're not gonna hurt anything. You're gonna help it. It's like adding some fiber to your diet. The motor needs to be cleaned. Do you change oil? Putting in new oil helps clean sludge and residue also. You aren't afraid of changing oil are you?

How many miles on it? It could use a new cap and rotor probably. That causes ping also. Get some colder plugs too. Just avoid the dealer like the plague.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who wants to bet that his plenum is blown?
Ill put $5.00 down saying it is...

Quick Reply: Noise under load from the engine