2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough idle 3 min after start-up.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:19 PM
insanehewey
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 3500 v10 did the same backfire/no power then it would clear up and it turned out to be the fuel pump, it will get worse and then it just wont start one day. my truck done the backfire for over a year then it just died.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:52 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure, running lean due to lack of fuel pressure will do it.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:32 PM
cnctony
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cmckenna WHAT THE F$#@ do you know about fuel pressure!

You told me your vehicle would start and run with 0 PSI.

The normal mode of operation is to bleed off pressure back into the tank after a period of time. I have a fuel pressure gage and, even when at 0 psi, it starts right up without having to prime / pressurize the system.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:18 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You told me your vehicle would start and run with 0 PSI.
No, I never told you that. Your not reading again and twisting things around here. What was said was the following:

I have a fuel pressure gage and, even when at 0 psi, it starts right up without having to prime / pressurize the system.
That's what was said. Nothing about running at zero psi.

Where did I say that it RAN with zero psi? Show me where I wrote that.

Are you back to "needling" again or, was that a legitimate question?

Last edited by cmckenna; 10-14-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-15-2010, 04:00 PM
DJK265
Amateur

Originally Posted by ron333
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place!
Sounds like the IAC valve isn't working like it should. The fact that it is OK until the engine warms up could also indicate something possibly wrong with the pre-cat O2 sensor. I'm no mechanic, but this is what first comes to mind. Maybe somebody will chime in who actually knows about these things.

It turns out that it was the pre-cat O2 sensor. I let this problem go for along time and now I believe tha Cat is some what plugged. Thia may prove to be a costly mistake on my part. This O2 sensor I believe also affected the shifting of the transmission. The tranny would sometimes not shift into overdrive, but after replacing tha sensor I've not had any problems with that issue. Thanks to all for your help even if this thread did get alittle out of hand. (Good entertainment)

Later
Dan

Old 01-16-2010, 06:03 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Originally Posted by onegoodmason
BINGO , post 2,5 and 16 nailed it and you just did the test , unplug the sensor . The PCM will run off preset settings and but generate a CEL . If the problem goes away , replace the sensor . It's not something to leave for an extened period , but a few days is harmless , make sure the harness is wired away from the exhaust manifold .
I've seen this issue lots on Mopars .

Glad your all fixed up OP . It only takes one bad sensor to eff things up .

I don't frequent this forum anymore because I sold the beast , but was subscribed to this one . I still push Mopars , both jeeps have V8's , one 5.2 , one , 5.9

Don't stress about the cat , if it doesn't rattle , it's 9.5/10 times still good . If someone could show me a clogged cat , do so , I've never seen one . Pics or nothing !

Old 05-07-2019, 09:26 AM
dwprog

Originally Posted by Detour
I finally replaced the up stream 02 sensor. Engine runs and ideals fine after the 3 min warm up period. and the engine light went back off. I could not fine any BTW so I went with the Bosh sensor. Thanks
Hello Detour, I know I am about 10 years behind, but hoping you are still active on this forum site. I have the EXACT same problem with my '99 Ram 1500. I replaced the IAC sensor a few months ago and it seemed to go away for about 2 weeks, then it was back.
You had mentioned you replaced the upstream O2 sensor. Would you mind telling me was it the left or the right? Also, did the problem stay away and not come back after an extended period of time?
Thanks a lot!
Nick

Old 05-07-2019, 10:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

Originally Posted by dwprog
Hello Detour, I know I am about 10 years behind, but hoping you are still active on this forum site. I have the EXACT same problem with my '99 Ram 1500. I replaced the IAC sensor a few months ago and it seemed to go away for about 2 weeks, then it was back.
You had mentioned you replaced the upstream O2 sensor. Would you mind telling me was it the left or the right? Also, did the problem stay away and not come back after an extended period of time?
Thanks a lot!
Nick
Do you have california emissions? If so, then when replacing the O2 sensor, replace BOTH of them. Don't use the Bosch sensors though, NTK, or Denso only please.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:30 AM
dwprog

Thank you. I just ordered both left and right upstream NTK O2 sensors.I am hoping this works!

Old 05-07-2019, 10:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

Let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Rough idle 3 min after start-up.