2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RAM 1500 Dash / Heater core

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 04:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
leaving it ther is like being ready for a treasure hunt! Ugly1 says that is what has preserved his dash!
That's the dust, etc. on top of the dash pad. I am talking about the sticks/leaves/mouse refuse/etc. that accumulates IN the heater box.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 AM
rustynuts
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I smell faint smell of radiator fluid in Cab. Bought this 2001 dodge Ram from my dad. He had the heater core burst/major leak in cab and had it already replaced at dealer when it was under Warranty about 5 years ago....

1) After reading this post, I guess I will first pull carpet and look for any sign of leak, because I only smell fluid.

2)The AC does not work either. Maybe while I'm in there looking at core....replace the A/C evaporator as well??? Need a pic as to what this even looks like

3) Sounds like I would try the easy way first and NOT pull dash-just drop steering column and tilt dash back. Use dremel cutoff tool? Cut the heater core pipes, remove the screw that holds the clamp and pull the core out? (just asking)

Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rustynuts
I smell faint smell of radiator fluid in Cab. Bought this 2001 dodge Ram from my dad. He had the heater core burst/major leak in cab and had it already replaced at dealer when it was under Warranty about 5 years ago....

1) After reading this post, I guess I will first pull carpet and look for any sign of leak, because I only smell fluid.

2)The AC does not work either. Maybe while I'm in there looking at core....replace the A/C evaporator as well??? Need a pic as to what this even looks like

3) Sounds like I would try the easy way first and NOT pull dash-just drop steering column and tilt dash back. Use dremel cutoff tool? Cut the heater core pipes, remove the screw that holds the clamp and pull the core out? (just asking)
Visit the 2nd Gen Ram FAQs, DIYs & How To's at the top of this forum, like the OP should have done. The heater core replacement is old hat, around here.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:08 PM
wilfite
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rusty,

One thing that's easy to check is to see if liquid is running back from the condensation drain tube into the cab. Mine was. I stuck a cheap 90 degree rubber hose fitting on it and the condensate stopped running back into the cab. If your carpet is getting wet this could be part of it.

Quick Reply: RAM 1500 Dash / Heater core