2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bought a 01 ram. winding noise in reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:54 PM
townsley4
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok...so i got the dealer to fix 1 u-joint on my truck, and when i was there to drop my truck off i left a note saying "whinning noise when the truck is put into reverse when the truck is cold" i dropped it off sunday night so they could have it all day monday. well....when i went to go pick it up from the dealer..the lazy dude at the desk was like "we could not duplicate the problem..." i was like..what??? you had the truck ALL day and you coudlnt figure it out? so i took the mechanic out with me to show him the whining noise when its in reverse...we both heard it...he said to leave there again for them to have it all the next day to try to figure it out....well the next night i went to go pick it up..and here is what one of the guys told me..."we could not figure out what the problem is...but we guessed that it was your transmission fluid." he said it was low on tranny fluid and thats why it was making that sound.... he said..."it was a loose bolt on the tranny that HE tightened to stop the leak." well this morning when i got in it, and put it into reverse to back out of my driveway..that same loud whining noise came from below the center of the cab.

im getting so pissed at these guys. they want me to leave it ther again all day monday again! what pisses me off the most is..when i was in the process of buying he said their mechaninc had looked at it and it had pased all teh inspectins and everything was fine! and i went and toko it to 2 diff mechanics and they came up with 1800$ worth of stuff to fix!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 06:06 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a wonderful example of why I work on my own vehicles and maybe other people do too.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:11 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

same reason i work on my own truck
mine does it only if its cold, like in the morning when i leave for school

Old 05-13-2009, 06:34 PM
townsley4
Veteran

so does mine..it only does it when its cold...mostly in the morning... but WHY?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:52 PM
townsley4
Veteran

i dont want to take it all the way up there for them to find out again that there is nothing wrong with it..but if there is somethign wrong with it in the tranny..i have a 30 day 3k mile powertrain warrenty..so id like to have an idea of maybe what it is..? is it bad???

Old 05-13-2009, 11:10 PM
townsley4
Veteran

no one knows????

Old 05-13-2009, 11:35 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Mine made a whiring noise a long while back, but only in drive. And continuously. But, I found out by a TRUSTED mechanic that it was, and correct me if I don't specify this right, the gasket between the drive shaft and the tranny was grinding against something that I forgot what he told me. He grinded that down a little, and BAM! It was fixed. I have no idea what-so-ever if thats your problem, but could be something to check out.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:45 PM
townsley4
Veteran

but mine ONLY does it when you put it into reverse and when the truck is cold...like in the mornings...if youd rive it down the road for a 5 miles or so , and then try to hear it..it wont be there. but its definalty there when the truck has sat for a few hours. youc an hear it when u put it in reverse and have the brakes on...and when u accelerate in reverse it gets louder...also when u just roll backwards in reverse down my driveway..it gets loud...u can almost feel the whirring viabrations in the steering wheel...its weird..

Old 05-13-2009, 11:50 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Um...your rear end going out? A bearing? I have no clue lol

Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As I said, this is actually considered by many to be a "normal" noise and expected in the 46RE due to a design flaw. It caused by the pressure relief valve (regulator valve) occilating in the valve body when pressures are high and fluid is cold, causing a resonance that you can hear. There is a TSB to fix this problem (http://www.dodgeram.info/tsb/1999/21-08-99.htm), but from what I have read, it does not seem to fix the noise in all cases. Also note that the same noise can be caused by things that are actually problems (cracked pump housing, a torn pump gasket, an under filled transmission, a restricted fluid filter), so having it looked at is a good idea, but don't be suprised if they don't find anything. I have seen posts from Chrysler service techs on another forums that basically explain this as being a bad design flaw of some sort in this transmission, but it is not detrimental to transmission life expectancy or performance, just an annoying side affect of cold fluid and reverse gear pressures. Mine has done it since I owned my truck, and I tried to have it fixed once to no avail. Then when my trans went out, it was rebuild under warranty, and it still did it even after that. I mentioned it to the dealer, and was told pretty much the same thing I read on other forums.

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 05-14-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: bought a 01 ram. winding noise in reverse?