2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quick Question - Fuel Line Removal Tool

Old 04-29-2009, 12:38 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Question - Fuel Line Removal Tool

What size fuel line removal tool do I need for a 5.9L 360? I'm going to attempt my temporary plenum gasket replacement today. I know I should wait until I can afford a Hughes one, but I can't anytime soon. I also want to know what I'm doing when I DO get a Hughes gasket. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 PM
helms
All Star

i would go buy a fuel line remover kit. it has a bunch of different sizes for when you work on other vehicles. they arent too expensive

Old 04-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't disconnect the fuel line when I did mine. I tried, but could never get it undone. So I just lifted the fuel rails up and off of the intake, and then zip tied them out of the way. It worked fine. Don't forget to relieve the line pressure first before doing anything with the fuel lines.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:32 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Like helms said, the variety pack for these line disconnect tools are quite cheep, like 10 bucks at the parts store. The first time I did my plenum I did what Silver did, removed the injectors from the intake. But, the second time I did the plenum gasket (a year later, cause the stock setup was already leaking again) I disconnected the fuel line next to the injector rail. I think this was much easier, and I didn't even have the tool to do it, just two small screw drivers .

But, one recommendation... don't bother replacing the plenum kit with the stock junk, just save up for the Hughes or APS kit. Its too much work for nothing!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:10 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

3/8 inch.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:27 PM
truegent81
Captain

so ive been reading in the haynes manual and on some threads about fuel pressure.

so my understanding is when working on the fuel system, the lines must be depressurized. well i plan on installing new o rings on the injectors, so i will need to do the before mentioned step. in the haynes, it states to use a fuel pressure gauge with a bleeder hose to dispose the fuel into a container or you can open the fuel test port cover it with a paper towel and press the port with a screwdriver.

so i understand this is the step of releasing the pressure in the fuel system but how much fuel will come out? will i need a large container for the fuel or will the paper towel method be sufficient?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:32 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

paper towel or shop rag is sufficient.

the amount of fuel depends on how long the truck has been sitting.
if 5 minutes of less - it'll be fairly strong squirt at about 49 psi.
if longer, then its significantly less, all the way down to 0.

just cover it with a rag, press the little valve with a screwdriver, and don't let it hit you in the face.
AND DON'T SMOKE...

Old 06-12-2010, 06:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Originally Posted by truegent81
so ive been reading in the haynes manual and on some threads about fuel pressure.

so my understanding is when working on the fuel system, the lines must be depressurized. well i plan on installing new o rings on the injectors, so i will need to do the before mentioned step. in the haynes, it states to use a fuel pressure gauge with a bleeder hose to dispose the fuel into a container or you can open the fuel test port cover it with a paper towel and press the port with a screwdriver.

so i understand this is the step of releasing the pressure in the fuel system but how much fuel will come out? will i need a large container for the fuel or will the paper towel method be sufficient?
A few paper towels will be adequate to the task.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:51 PM
truegent81
Captain

thank yall DV/hey you. i didnt realize that this was the process of releasing the fuel pressure. a lot easier then what i was imagining. sweet..

Old 06-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The easy way to relieve pressure and purge the line and injectors of fuel is to simply pull the fuel pump relay out of the fuse block, and run the truck till it dies. This is how I did it, and when I pulled the injectors, there wasn't a drop of fuel. Anytime I can avoid spilling any fuel on my engine, I go that route.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick Question - Fuel Line Removal Tool