2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quick Question - Fuel Line Removal Tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:39 AM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
The easy way to relieve pressure and purge the line and injectors of fuel is to simply pull the fuel pump relay out of the fuse block, and run the truck till it dies. This is how I did it, and when I pulled the injectors, there wasn't a drop of fuel. Anytime I can avoid spilling any fuel on my engine, I go that route.

never heard of that way. glad to know another route.

when i'm done with the plenum, how does the pressure get built back up? EDIT: just read the answer in book. turn the key to ON so the fuel pump can prime. do this 2-3 times and check for fuel leakage.

when installing the injectors, does it matter where they go on the fuel rail? it really doesn't say in the manual. i was just thinking install 8 of them in any order.

OT: im watching the world cup and i just saw a new dodge challenger commercial. the challenger is driven by george washington and it is a scene of the rev. war. "america got two things right, cars and freedom."

Old 06-13-2010, 09:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Doesn't matter which hole you stuff your injectors in, they don't care. What DOES matter though, is when you put it back together, make sure you have the connectors on in the right order. As these engines are sequential fuel injection...... having them hooked up incorrectly will guarantee a miss on two or more cylinders.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did it with a rag over the test port too, then I carried it behind the truck and lit it on fire.

A good tip for removing the fuel lines is to push the removal tool into the connection then push the fuel line toward the rail while keeping pressure on the removal tool. Those little tabs will catch the lip on the fuel rail a little bit and make it a pain to pull off sometimes.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:28 PM
truegent81
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Doesn't matter which hole you stuff your injectors in, they don't care. What DOES matter though, is when you put it back together, make sure you have the connectors on in the right order. As these engines are sequential fuel injection...... having them hooked up incorrectly will guarantee a miss on two or more cylinders.

can you clarify this a little more? thanks man

Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

I think he means the injectors themselves can be put in any order. There isn't a specific order for them. But the electrical connections at the end of each injector needs to be in the right order as before and not plugged into the wrong injector, or else when the computer sends off the electrical code to a specific injector and its plugged into a different injector, there will be a miss because they will not be firing in the correct order.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:59 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

he's saying it doesn't matter if you rearrange the injectors themselves in the holes.

but it's critical that you don't mix up the wiring. proper injector wiring is just as critical as spark plug wiring. if you get one out of order, then the spark (or fuel) is out of time.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:57 AM
truegent81
Captain

thanks yall. sounds good.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Old Dodge 1
Professional
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
The easy way to relieve pressure and purge the line and injectors of fuel is to simply pull the fuel pump relay out of the fuse block, and run the truck till it dies. This is how I did it, and when I pulled the injectors, there wasn't a drop of fuel. Anytime I can avoid spilling any fuel on my engine, I go that route.

This is definitely the way you want to approach this. The Haynes Repair manual walks you through the whole procedure.

Quick Reply: Quick Question - Fuel Line Removal Tool