2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 02:52 PM
mint5jf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help!

i have a 1997 1500 sport 4x4 5.9L and recently had the trac bar replaced. it made a world of difference ,but now the drivers side feels loose in front. i can also feel something right under my feet hitting underneath right at my left foot. or it sure does feel like its right there. ive been under it several times and nothing feels loose and nothing looks worn. i was thinking maybe shocks or struts but i can get out and rock the crap out of it and i dont hear nothing popping or hitting. it does it even at low speeds and on little bumps. the truck is very squirilly down the road more than it used to after the trac bar got replaced. i was just wanting ideas for what the best way to check out underneath cause ive had some doctor bills and just had a new baby girl, so taking it in is not something i can afford. i can replace it myself and save alot.
thanks so much in advance

Old 05-01-2009, 03:35 PM
helms
All Star

get a buddy to sit in the drivers seat. with the truck running (for power assist) have him move the steering wheel side to side, just enough to take up the play. while he is doing this, you have to go underneith the front and look and feel for any joints that may be loose. this is the best way to do it.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:49 PM
mint5jf

ok try that and see thanks

Old 05-01-2009, 05:02 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The clunking by your feet could be the steering shaft bushing or the lower shock bolt may be loose.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:36 PM
mint5jf

well i got under it and had someone turn the wheel. the pitman arm seemed to be loose.not super loose but had some play in it. im not sure if thats normal or not but its not the side from the steering geart but the bolt or shaft connected to the steering arm. does that sound like what would be causing the unstable steering or knocking under my feet. i also forgot to mention that approxamitly over 55mph the front end shakes.
when i took it in about a month ago (twice one for the trac bar) i had them check for anything loose and they said everything was fine and this just started.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:37 PM
mint5jf

how do i check the lower shock bolt
i yanked on it and it seemed fine

Old 05-01-2009, 07:18 PM
helms
All Star

ok, any play in a steering component is going to translate to some sort of "sloppy steering". there shouldnt be any play in the pitman arm, i think your describing the tierod, if that is loose it will definatly contribute to your slop.

The shake over 55 is usually a bad or unbalanced tire.

i had a problem with the lower shock mounts because the eye on the shock was a bit bigger than the bolt going through it, resulting in a rapid clunking, or rattling. i needed new shoks anyway, so when i bought the new ones, i made sure the bushing was the right size... problem solved.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:42 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lower shock bolt - put a pull bar on it and torque it up to about 105 pounds, which is very damn tight.

there should not be any play anywhere in the front end parts, including pitman arm, tie rod ends, ball joints, or bearings.

i had to replace a rear shock bolt. it was ground down smaller than the bushing. it was weird.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If the pitman arm is loose where it connects to the steering box, it's not the pitman arm, it's the steering box.(some play in the stub shaft is normal as long as the seal is not leaking) The pitman arm is solid steel and is very rare for it to go bad.