2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best OEM-style Sport headlight brand available these days?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 06:15 PM
JJs12V
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best OEM-style Sport headlight brand available these days?

Hey y'all, I'm new to the forum and working slowly to get my grandfather's '95 2500 back to daily driver status. It's running and driving pretty reliably now, but I can't hardly drive it at night because of these old headlight lenses. I've decided that the Sport headlight conversion is what I want to do, but I can't really tell what brand offers the "best" OEM-style headlights these days. I'm not looking for the least expensive option possible, but I'm also not looking to shell out hundreds and hundreds if there isn't a noticeable difference. Any of you bought a set lately to point me in the right direction?

Also, do ya prefer the Geno's Garage Brite Box Conversion Kit, the CE Auto Electric Supply Conversion Relay Kit, or some other premade conversion kit?

Old 06-23-2024, 08:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

You'll have to do some modifications to the fenders to fit the sport headlamps.... When I replaced my mine (sport truck, but still, single bulb headlamps.....) I got 'em from AM-Autoparts.com. They look exactly like OEM, are adjustable, and came with bulbs, even though they said they did not. (I had new ones anyway.) They still looked brand new when I sold the truck seven years later. I did the same on my 98 when I bought it. Sport truck, but, single bulb headlamps still. (I think the dual bulb were part of the 98.5 mid cycle refresh) They are still on the truck, still look brand new, and oddly enough.... it's 7 years later.

The following users liked this post:
JJs12V (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 09:34 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

When I did the conversion to attain brighter headlights, I believe I purchased mine through RockAuto.com, making sure that the set I ordered met CAPA or NSF standards for quality. I believe I purchased TYC headlight assemblies, by looking up a 2000 Ram 1500 for reference, as several earlier years didn't have the sport headlight option. The headlights came with substandard bulbs that I ended up replacing with Sylvania Silverstars to attain better lighting. I had to trim the headlight buckets of each fender with a sawzall to allow for the new, deeper sport headlights to fit into the fenders, but that was the only physical modification I had to make. The other modification you must make is the headlight wiring harness. You will need to pickup a relayed headlight harness that will work with sport headlights so you don't cook the headlight switch by trying to draw the increased current required to run the 4 bulb sport headlights. I believe LMC truck makes one and the one I purchased came from these folks - https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/hea...ion-relay-kit/

JJs12V (06-23-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 06:55 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

You still will have sub par lights even with silverstar bulbs. Get clear lens housings and put in a true hid projector units. Then the guy 5 cars behind you won't have brighter lights than yours. It's probably more than you want to spend but it will upgrade the lighting to modern day lighting rather than from 25 years ago. You can get clear lens housings on Amazon, Depending on what hid unit you like there will be somewhere on the net that sells them. I have my eye on these. You may find something here also.

Old 06-24-2024, 08:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
You still will have sub par lights even with silverstar bulbs. Get clear lens housings and put in a true hid projector units. Then the guy 5 cars behind you won't have brighter lights than yours. It's probably more than you want to spend but it will upgrade the lighting to modern day lighting rather than from 25 years ago. You can get clear lens housings on Amazon, Depending on what hid unit you like there will be somewhere on the net that sells them. I have my eye on these. You may find something here also.
I also use the silverstars, and the light output is more than acceptable for my purposes. Between new housings, the relay harness, and new bulbs, the difference in output was amazing. I can actually SEE at night.

Sure, I could spend more money, and get even more output, I just don't see the point.

Be sure an properly aim the new headlights as well.....

JJs12V (06-24-2024)
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM
69_XS29L
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JJs12V
Hey y'all, I'm new to the forum and working slowly to get my grandfather's '95 2500 back to daily driver status. It's running and driving pretty reliably now, but I can't hardly drive it at night because of these old headlight lenses. I've decided that the Sport headlight conversion is what I want to do, but I can't really tell what brand offers the "best" OEM-style headlights these days. I'm not looking for the least expensive option possible, but I'm also not looking to shell out hundreds and hundreds if there isn't a noticeable difference. Any of you bought a set lately to point me in the right direction?
Also, do ya prefer the Geno's Garage Brite Box Conversion Kit, the CE Auto Electric Supply Conversion Relay Kit, or some other premade conversion kit?
Or build your own. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post3578199
Not sure how much difference the brand makes, but as pointed out above, the Taiwanese TYCs are decently made. I didn't really like the beam pattern, but they make the grade for insurance paid body shop repairs in the U.S. and they work well. I really like my setup.

Quick Reply: Best OEM-style Sport headlight brand available these days?