2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V10 Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Your41Plague12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V10 Exhaust Question

Hi,
I'll be buying a 1996 Ram 2500 with a V10 soon, and I was planning on upgrading the exhaust. I like the sound of a Flowmaster, but two problems with that exist: 1, I've heard bad things about them rotting out, and 2: They don't make one for the V10. My questions are, can I get a model for a V8 and have a shop re-bend the pipes to fix it, or wouldn't that work? Also, what other brands make exhausts that fit the truck but won't break the bank? I'm having trouble finding anything at all for the V10. On Magnaflow's website, they don't have anything at all above a 1500, let alone a 2500 with a V10. I appreciate the help guys, because just from reading around I can tell that most of you are much more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am.

Steve

Old 05-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the 8 Liter Club, of which I recently became a member, as well. Can't help you with your issue, though. I have a Borla system and I don't know who makes the muffler on mine. Not too many of us in this club, so info is somewhat hard to come by in here. There are a lot of helpful people, though, so maybe you'll get an answer. Welcome to the forum!

EDIT: I have since found out that my muffler is an Edelbrock unit.

Last edited by Miami_Son; 07-17-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flowmaster makes a muffler for the v10 they never really sold a lot of them. Just crawl underneath your truck and measure the diameter of the pipe. FM will have a muffler that will fit. You might have to buy a conversion pipe to make it fit, but its doable.

As far as them rotting out, I have had the same American Thunder kit on mine for almost 6 years now. There is some rust on the welds of the muffler, but there is none on the siding.
People either love FM, or they hate em. Some claim that your power will drop with an FM setup. Personally I think thats total BS. Anything is better than the stocker.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Your41Plague12

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Flowmaster makes a muffler for the v10 they never really sold a lot of them. Just crawl underneath your truck and measure the diameter of the pipe. FM will have a muffler that will fit. You might have to buy a conversion pipe to make it fit, but its doable.

As far as them rotting out, I have had the same American Thunder kit on mine for almost 6 years now. There is some rust on the welds of the muffler, but there is none on the siding.
People either love FM, or they hate em. Some claim that your power will drop with an FM setup. Personally I think thats total BS. Anything is better than the stocker.
Glad to hear that. My buddies have Flowmasters on most of their trucks, and I love the rumble. I can imagine the sounds I'll be getting from the V10, in addition to the potential boost in performance. Would this do anything for fuel economy? I've heard grim things about the V10 (it's not mine yet), and especially about ones that are lifted with some big tires.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Meh, You might see 1MPG, but more than likely its going to drop just for simple fact that you will be throwing your foot in it all the time.

I havent heard a V10 with an FM on yet.
Make sure you post vids when you do. (Open exhaust sound BA on them though )

Old 05-08-2009, 12:20 AM
CaptCameltoe
Professional

I have heard FM's on a V10 in both single and dual setups, both sounds like crap IMO, very tinny and buzzy. The V10 doesn't have that rumble like the V8's do when equppied the same way mufflerwise. The best V10's I have heard so far used large single setups with mufflers that are known to be on the mellower side of the sound level. Just my .02. I got a killer deal on the borla setup for my V10 and will be usin that. I'll make sure to post clips when I get that project up and runnin.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My V10 with the Borlas sounds awesome. Duals on the V10 are difficult because of the really large 34 gallon tank that takes up almost the entire left side, but I don't think you'd gain much, if anything, from duals on this engine. It just wasn't built for much beyond being a totally kick-*** towing machine. Here's an exhaust system I found on eBay for the V10:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gibso...Q5fAccessories

Old 05-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
My V10 with the Borlas sounds awesome. Duals on the V10 are difficult because of the really large 34 gallon tank that takes up almost the entire left side, but I don't think you'd gain much, if anything, from duals on this engine. It just wasn't built for much beyond being a totally kick-*** towing machine. Here's an exhaust system I found on eBay for the v10
That tank isnt really that hard to get around. I have the 34 gallon tank in mine. And FM makes a kit for it. Hell the American thunder kit might still bolt right up on the v10 trucks. My only gripe about the kits is the fact that the left pipe comes out on the right side, and then bends down right behind the rear axle to exit on the left side. (there is an *** end shot that kinda shows this in my albums) That is the only pipe I left unwelded just in case I ever have a need to get into the pumpkin for repairs.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:44 AM
helms
All Star

i like the sound of 8.0s. Anything that is healthy will sound good. i always described an 8.0L to sound like a V6 on steroids, and anyone who has seen a couple 10 second Buick GNs go down the track will know what im talking about.

I dont think you will have any problem using an exhaust kit made for a V8, as long as you get a kit designed for your wheelbase. the only issues i see would be proper pipe diameter (a V8 system might be on the small side), and connecting the mid pipe to your cat. i doubt it would be a bolt on deal. If i were you, i would go talk to a reputable exhaust shop, they will know what to do.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Your41Plague12

Originally Posted by helms
i like the sound of 8.0s. Anything that is healthy will sound good. i always described an 8.0L to sound like a V6 on steroids, and anyone who has seen a couple 10 second Buick GNs go down the track will know what im talking about.

I dont think you will have any problem using an exhaust kit made for a V8, as long as you get a kit designed for your wheelbase. the only issues i see would be proper pipe diameter (a V8 system might be on the small side), and connecting the mid pipe to your cat. i doubt it would be a bolt on deal. If i were you, i would go talk to a reputable exhaust shop, they will know what to do.
That sounds like a plan to me. I may end up just taking it to a shop and seeing what they would suggest. I definitely want it to sound beefier than stock, and if I have to go a little out of my way to make it work, I'll do it. You only live once.

Quick Reply: V10 Exhaust Question