2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Suspension Lean???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:52 AM
joshokelly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Suspension Lean???

Good Evening everyone, I have a 2000 Dodge Ram and it has that "Driver lean" b/c I ride in it everyday. I have new shocks ordered for it, but do you think that will fix it? For details, it is a 2000 Club Cab SWB 2WD, and i have it lowered 2" in the back to level it out. Should I replace a leaf spring and coil or do you think the shocks will fix it? I really want it to sit level, especially since I am **** and I notice that **** everytime I walk behind the truck. It's my baby and i want it to look good, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you are suffering from a body roll? Like the truck will lean in the opposite direction when cornering? If that's the case, new shocks will almost rid you of that. You will still have some, but come on, this is a vehicle that weighs over 4,000 pounds...

Old 05-10-2009, 01:22 AM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you're referring to the driver's side sitting lower than the passenger side. It's not just because you spend more time on that side. The gas tank is also on that side and over time the weight of you and the gas just sag the suspension out sooner. You can either replace the springs or have them re-arched to get your ride height back. Shocks alone won't help.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:37 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Miami_Son is correct, new shocks alone 99% of the time do not fix the "Dodge lean".

The gas tank is on that side, the battery, the driver, and a couple other things that have decent weight.

The way I corrected mine was to replace the driver's side leaf spring. The coil springs (front) don't usually wear out, its the leaf springs (rear) that can.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:10 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

That's odd... I have never noticed anything like that on mine, and hell with the 34 gallon tank, you would think that I would....

Old 05-10-2009, 08:12 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

new shocks will have no effect on the lean, because shocks don't hold the truck up, they only resist the bouncing motion.

i would not waste time and energy re-arching springs. they always re-sag, its just a matter of time.

someone posted the good idea of getting a passenger side spring from the junk yard and putting it on the drivers side.

if you wanted to screw around with it w/o spending much money, you could add an intermediate leaf to your driver side to perk it up a little. this would require some trial and error.

new springs are expensive, running about $200-300 per side. my driver side is also sagged, and i'm going to buy a new one, one of these days. here's the cheapest i can find at 188.
http://stengelbros.3dcartstores.com/..._p_0-1956.html

Old 05-10-2009, 11:06 AM
joshokelly
Default Excellent

I appreciate all the help, I was thinking that I might have to replace the leaf. The truck is almost 10 years old, but it has had the motor and tranny replaced, and its paid for. Everytime i think of getting something else, I see the sticker prices and think nah, I'll drive this a little while longer.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:18 PM
ophidia
Captain

I'm having the same problem as well. The passenger's side spring from a junk yard is a good idea-- I'll have to explore that.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:33 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

i know a few of the guys on here have 2500 coil springs in the front. i'm thinking i might do that just for ****s and giggles. see if it doesnt do anything. i'm sure i can find them somewhere around here lol

Old 05-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2500 doesn't lean, so that might have something to do with it. The suspension on 1/2 tons is usually a bit softer for better ride quality. 3/4 and 1 ton trucks tend to be more about work and therefore have stiffer suspensions. Mine also has the towing and the camper package and is very stiff unloaded.

Quick Reply: Suspension Lean???