2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Im stumped - wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 07:45 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im stumped - wiring question

Ok so my buddy told me this afternoon that he will be retiring his "fire and ice" led light bar for the new one that adds in the amber turn signal thing. Whatever.. his loss my gain. Anyway so all it does is plug into your 4 pin trailer connector and good to go. Heres the deal... I went out today and bought the trailer wiring to add the 4 pin flat connector since I don't have the tow package. I plan on wiring that up next week. But...... in the process I have been reading up on the color codes but noticed there is no "reverse" wire in teh 4 pin connector. One wire is ground, one is left turn, one is right turn, and the last is running etc. How does the lightbar know when im in reverse?

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 05-10-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:17 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We will talk sir

Old 05-10-2009, 08:20 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

does the lightbar need to know when in reverse ?
on the 6 and 7 pin trailer plugs, reverse is wired in.
your 4 pin won't include it.
just slide one of your tail lights out, find the reverse light, and tap onto it.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:43 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
does the lightbar need to know when in reverse ?
on the 6 and 7 pin trailer plugs, reverse is wired in.
your 4 pin won't include it.
just slide one of your tail lights out, find the reverse light, and tap onto it.
http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?pk=47

"Plug & play installation – Plugs directly into a standard flat 4-pin trailer light connector"

I know it uses a 4 pin connector because I have seen it on my buddys truck. I also know the reverse feature works with the 4pin because if he ever needs wiring done, I end up doing it. The thing is... it's not whether it will show reverse or not with the 4 pin, but how does it do it with the four pin. I can't grasp that part at the moment of how it knows when im in reverse. Thats all.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:05 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Hmmm... well i just found a wiring diagram on line so maybe it does have an extra wire for reverse..... Guess that would explain it. I called my friend up but he didn't answer so I won't know if he tap spliced an extra wire or what. Yep nvm. The directions say "plug and play 4 pin" but I guess thats not the case after all. Thanks anyway guys.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 05-10-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
dodge6

If your sure the Back up lights work with the 4 pin, you might call them up and ask them.
I'd like to know too. I looked at the install instructions on the web sight, the white wire on the 4 pin plug is ground. The supplemental instructions for the "fire and ice" say to connect the white wire coming out of the light bar to trucks positive reverse wire.(hard wire). Instructions are a bit vague, but the way I read them you do the plug and play for the stop/turn and hard wire the backup. But if you can just plug it in the 4 pin and it works that is wierd. Does the light bar have four wires(park, left, right, ground) or five(park left right ground reverse)?

Last edited by dodge6; 05-10-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:28 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge6
If your sure the Back up lights work with the 4 pin, you might call them up and ask them.
I'd like to know too. I looked at the install instructions on the web sight, the white wire on the 4 pin plug is ground. The supplemental instructions for the "fire and ice" say to connect the white wire coming out of the light bar to trucks positive reverse wire.(hard wire). Instructions are a bit vague, but the way I read them you do the plug and play for the stop/turn and hard wire the backup. But if you can just plug it in the 4 pin and it works that is wierd. Does the light bar have four wires(park, left, right, ground) or five(park left right ground reverse)?
Yeah I always thought it was just the plug... but I guess not. Oh well.. Guess ill use one of those quick disconnects (spade connectors) and wire that up too while im at it...

Old 05-10-2009, 09:48 PM
dodge6

whats a little extra wiring when you get a good deal on a cool looking light bar? Good luck on your weekend project

Old 05-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

does the light bar have white leds in it for reverse? if not then i wouldn't worry about it, just hook up park, left, right, ground. when i put mine on i cut the connector off and spliced it into the trailer wiring as far under the bed as it would reach so now the light bar is permanant and i still have my 4 pin connector free.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:11 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe he talked to his buddy last night. I found a bar with the reverse and it has another wire for reverse that's not connected to the 4 pin.

On a side note for you they make spliters. I never knew that till pc sent me a link for one the other night. I was gonna hard wire mine if I ever got it now I might not knowing that

Quick Reply: Im stumped - wiring question