2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical System
Print Wikipost

Crankshaft positioning sensor....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:19 PM
DodgeCrazy88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft positioning sensor....

Ok this thing is a B*TCH to get to! Does anyone have any tricks? Going at it from underneath is about impossible unless you have the arms and hands of a 4 year old girl and the top is no better but you can't even see it from the top without a mirror and standing on your head!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:42 PM
97black_ram
Captain

Can't help you with tip or tricks as I never replaced one. Just curious why your replacing it? Is it throwing a CEL?

Old 05-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotta go by feel unless you get a set of curved box wrenches -- OR -- custom bend a box wrench you have (hint: use a torch to do that).

Old 05-12-2009, 02:56 PM
DodgeCrazy88

The truck is missing on 1,2, and 3. It has gone through a rebuild... pretty much new everything. We first thought that the bad cat that was causing it, but its not... I got online and other people have had the same problem and spent hundreds tracking it down because the only codes that come up are Misfire codes, in every case it was the crankshaft positioning sensor so instead of spending hundreds on tracking it down i spent 50 bucks on it to give it a try. We have tried everything else, tested spark, tested injectors, checked compression on a brand new motor just in case... running out of ideas i guess so this is my hail mary. I could also be the camshaft sensor which is easy to replace just haven't gotten the part in yet.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:53 PM
gobbell1
Professional

I had mine out when I did the tranny rebuild. While it much easier to do while the tranny is out, I can tell you a few things:

1. it is located at about the 2 o'clock position looking at the back of the engine.
2. 2 bolts hold it down (1/2" I think)
3. I could get to it with 18" of extensions and a universal socket joint reaching down from the pax side behind the engine.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:31 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Really asstupid as it sounds it all depends on how tall you are and how big your hands are. I'm fairly tall and I have small hands. I put a stool along the passanger side fender and stood on it. I then leaned over and put one leg up on the fender and kept the other on the stool. This let me reach around behind the motor and made all of my freinds usuless because they were to busy laughing on the floor because I looked like a monkey humping a football. Anyways you have to do the whole thing by touch using a wrench. This worked for me. IF you are shorter you might need to put a peice of plywood across the engine compartment and lay on it to reach back there.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:21 PM
fjmg
Amateur

Darn it all, In all my ignorance, I just had the trans out and did not even think of replacing the sensor and can even remember how easy it was to get at with the tranny out. Guess I'll have to be a contortionist if it goes.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:03 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can use a flexible extension, that makes it A LOT easier.

http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Socke.../dp/B00129IG7W

Try following these directions and see if it helps:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...big-hands.html

I've done it so many times now I can get it in and out in about 30 minutes

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 05-12-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
You can use a flexible extension, that makes it A LOT easier.

http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Socke.../dp/B00129IG7W

Try following these directions and see if it helps:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...big-hands.html

I've done it so many times now I can get it in and out in about 30 minutes
The DodgeForum is not a dating site, gay or otherwise. Mmmmm-Kay?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 PM
DodgeCrazy88

Thanks for the imput... I got it after standing on my head for about an hour and half. It doesn't sound stupid about how tall you are... my boyfriend always makes fun of me for standing on **** while working on my truck or sitting under the hood straddling the block (which is what i did in this case) what he doesn't realize is that he is 6'2" and i am 5'8" i need a booster once in awhile, then again if my arms were as long as his i might look like a monkey.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft positioning sensor....