2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission shudder...??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:31 PM
700dollardodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission shudder...??

Ok I noticed this about a month ago. When letting off the brake when in a line (ATM for ex.) the truck... well, shudders EVER EVER so slightly. My truck has slightly larger diameter all terrains and I thought its either one of two things... tire tread pattern rolling over the ground at .5-1mph or.... transmission (problems?). It never has done anything to make me think its misbehaving. So I can't say its the trans. for sure. That and I've only had it since Feb. so I dont know all of its idiosyncrasies (effing awesome word btw) quite yet.

And since im here, and youre here, and my truck just clicked over 93k and I'm due to change the fluid anyway. Band adjustments... do it? dont? I've definately read up on it (here) and it seems the field is split 50/50. Theres the "if it aint broke dont fix it" crowd, and the "prevenative maintenance" crowd. I see both sides.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:16 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as for the bands......i wouldnt do it myself....if you want it done take it to a shop

Old 05-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adjusting your own bands really depends on wether you're a dumb *** or not. If you are, have a shop do it. If you're not, then go ahead, because it's by no means hard. For the most part I would say if it ain't broke don't fix it, but if it's acting up then by all means fix it. Changing the fluid, filter, and adjusting the bands is the place to start. Transmissions are expensive, so if you don't know what you're doing it's best not to do it.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:44 PM
700dollardodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh definately capable. only need a good inch lbs torque wrench. figured that since the service manual said adjust at 93k that id ask. if i can swing it ima get a deep 727 pan with a drain. btw, Hi fellas, long time reader, first time poster (well yesterday was my first post). Aim, if you read this.... i wanna ride in your truck. you have like 97% of the same mods i want and on a 5.2 even. PMs are great but im ina hella hurry. the woman and beer await!!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 07:48 PM
lv360ram
Captain

Originally Posted by Cereal Killer
Adjusting your own bands really depends on wether you're a dumb *** or not. If you are, have a shop do it. If you're not, then go ahead, .....
Wow, dude. I try to be nice and have trouble getting people to respond.....maybe I should change my attitude.

For the band adjust: I put a line on the case, the nut and the center part with threads. So I could return it exactly. I followed the adjust procedure and ended up with all lines lined up. So, I think that means my bands aren't worn.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Originally Posted by lv360ram
Wow, dude. I try to be nice and have trouble getting people to respond.....maybe I should change my attitude.

For the band adjust: I put a line on the case, the nut and the center part with threads. So I could return it exactly. I followed the adjust procedure and ended up with all lines lined up. So, I think that means my bands aren't worn.

Honestly is truely the best policy

Also if everything lined up, and really more importantly if your transmission is shifting a-okay then I'd imagine your bands are in good shape.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:12 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Adjusting your own bands really depends on wether you're a dumb *** or not
I must be a real dumbass, then? When you follow the instructions of your 1999 FSM, Haynes Manual, Owners Manual, Noumerous people on DF, and MonteC.....And you double checked 4 times that you did it correctly, Your transmission fails. All of my problems were traced back to a faulty torque wrench!

If you are going to service your bands, Here is my advice: Invest in a good torque wrench. Don't borrow one from your uncle who has only used the POS once.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
I must be a real dumbass, then? When you follow the instructions of your 1999 FSM, Haynes Manual, Owners Manual, Noumerous people on DF, and MonteC.....And you double checked 4 times that you did it correctly, Your transmission fails. All of my problems were traced back to a faulty torque wrench!

If you are going to service your bands, Here is my advice: Invest in a good torque wrench. Don't borrow one from your uncle who has only used the POS once.
It's possible

Actually I just read something on here about the FSM and the haynes manual being different? Not sure if there's any truth to that or not, but if there is I'd imagine that's fu*ked over a few thousand people. I used the specs in a chiltons manual myself. Had no problems

Faulty torque wrench eh? That happens. Someone probably used it to break bolts a few times. That whacks them out. I generally use the kind you set the torque on the handle and it sort of ratchets when you get to the indicated torque for everything, but for this kind of sensetive thing I'd use one with a dial.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:44 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
+1 and make sure it in/pounds

Old 05-14-2009, 09:50 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's possible

Actually I just read something on here about the FSM and the haynes manual being different? Not sure if there's any truth to that or not, but if there is I'd imagine that's fu*ked over a few thousand people. I used the specs in a chiltons manual myself. Had no problems

Faulty torque wrench eh? That happens. Someone probably used it to break bolts a few times. That whacks them out. I generally use the kind you set the torque on the handle and it sort of ratchets when you get to the indicated torque for everything, but for this kind of sensetive thing I'd use one with a dial.
What do u think he was trying to do with it. He wanted his dad to get that bill all over agin.

Quick Reply: Transmission shudder...??