2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake choice for low end

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:02 AM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
Can I ask what size gears and tires you are running? These two items can really kill off your low end. What tune are you using with your hypertech?
You should review your mods and see if any one mod seemed to make things worse. BTW I think anything over 13 mpg is impressive, so I'm not sure what kind of low end you think it should have. To try and duplicate your mileage, I'd have such a light foot my truck may not even move.
You should know you're trying to move 6000 lbs of truck with a motor whose horsepower and torque ratings haven't changed much since the 1970s...but size of the vehicle has!
Other items to check are a leaking plenum, old O2 sensors, plug wire routing and mis adjusted brakes.

Sorry must have missed this post. I'm pretty sure I have stock 3.55's, and I was running 285's but now since a week ago I've got 265 (both 75R16). I'm using the 87 octane setting on the hypertech. Yeah I know the mileage I get is really good for the truck but I mean it's not like I can either baby it or step on it and have fun. There is no fun option.

I really didn't notice any loss of power than what I had when doing any mods like the Fastman. I was tempted to get the 50mm but was encouraged not to.

To someone who said step on it if you want it to move. Question about that. When I do step on it from say a stop (light, stop sign, or whatever else) being in first gear, I'm not sure what the truck is doing when it shifts and all of a sudden the RPM's shoot up to like 2500. I can understand this happening if I'm in any gear EXCEPT first since that would mean it downshifted, but I don't understand what its doing when I'm actually in first and it does it.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I think of low end, I think of RPM's from 0-2000. Upper end is from 2000-4000. If your running your truck over 4000 on any regular basis, your going to have issues anyway. When i'm towing, I live mostly in the upper end. Cruising at highway speeds, i'm at just about 2100 rpm. When I get on the gas to take a mountain pass or accelerate for any reason, I jump up to 3000 rpm or over. So I have not been shy about doing mods that gave me top end increases (high flow cat, 3" exhaust, headers) because that is where I need the power when I am towing. I rarely if ever have wished I had more towing power from 0-2000 because I never tow anything so heavy that my truck can get up to speed. My 4.56's give me plenty of mechanical advantage at rpm's below 2000 anyway. It is over 2000 that I think these trucks fall on their faces when towing.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:45 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Don't feel bad...theres no fun option for me in 2wd either. 285's/3:55s/5.9 means no low end. None. Zip. Zero.
Did you try using different tunes in your hypertech?
Your shifting issue...does that only happen on initial acceleration? Not around corners or at other times? Could be your pressure cable needs some adjusting, your govenor switch is going out, or worn TPS.
I tend to think of mid range from about 1800 to 4000 rpm, and upper end from there to redline. If you are trying to develop an instantanious low end, reducing the torque management in the PCM and adding extrat torque mutipliers (lower gears) might help. you would certainly notice more in those than any Air cleaner system would provide.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:57 PM
ripto
Captain

The thing is 285's and 265's felt basically the same. I haven't used the 93 octane setting on the hypertech (the only other option besides stock) since I don't feel like paying for premium every fill up. The shifting thing I was talking about is when I'm in first gear going from a stop. I'm not sure what it is "downshifting" into.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:49 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Have you had your tranny serviced lately and /or bands adjusted? Sounds lke a first to second shift issue which could be a loose drum band or shift selenoid.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 AM
mtt8950

how many miles is on your tranny. Cause i know mine did that and not to long afterwards i lost all gears except reverse. I think my tranny in my 5.2 went out at 205000miles and this truck is and has been drivin hard. Only bad thing is that even when the tranny i got in it now (remanufactured) is fairly new it shifts harder then the old one. So i get that jerky feel when i shift in a low rpm range but i full throttle it then it shifts smooth. Just hope its not the tranny going out cause i paid 2400 for mine. It was 2200 for the tranny and 200for labour.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:47 PM
ripto
Captain

I haven't had the transmission serviced lately. I have 125K miles on the truck right now. What kind of service can be done to it? I was actually thinking about taking it a transmission shop to have it checked over for some preventative maintenance.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A big part of your pinging problem is probably the fact that you stay under 2500 RPMs all the time and you've got carbon buildup. Seafoam works great at getting rid of carbon buildup and stopping pining. Then once it's cleaned out, keep it cleaned out by revving the damn thing occasionally.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:28 PM
ripto
Captain

I have done both MCCC and Seafoam in the past and neither really helped reduce the pinging at all.

Quick Reply: Intake choice for low end