2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turns on then won't

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Wickedwiggles
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turns on then won't

K still cant get my truck to run I got it to run fine for about 3min. then it died and then it wouldn't turn on didn't even seem like it was firing.....yes there is spark yes there is oil pressure, no there aren't any codes....I am so fed up with trying to get this stupid thing to work!

8months of rebuilding and nothing to show for it grrrrr

heh alright better now

Old 05-15-2009, 01:31 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so the engine is turning now, just not firing up?

Old 05-15-2009, 04:27 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

You mentioned oil pressure, what about fuel pressure? Perhaps you have got a bad pump or clogged filter.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Wickedwiggles
Veteran

Perhaps a coil? I do have the infamous accel coil and it is brand new like everything else.
Jason I don't think its the fuel b/c I have had it running strong and smooth but then I turn it off and then turn it on and it doesn't even seem like its sparking(although there is spark I checked) Ima pull the coil off and go get it tested and maybe grab an msd coil.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wickedwiggles
Perhaps a coil? I do have the infamous accel coil and it is brand new like everything else.
Jason I don't think its the fuel b/c I have had it running strong and smooth but then I turn it off and then turn it on and it doesn't even seem like its sparking(although there is spark I checked) Ima pull the coil off and go get it tested and maybe grab an msd coil.
You can try that, but Jason may be on to something. Fuel pumps can do funky things. Sometimes just sitting and not running, they will seize up. It might not be a bad idea to go ahead and check the pump, and the little filter on top of the housing.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:13 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking fuel pump as well. When you turn the key, can you hear the fuel pump engage (make a sound)? test the coil and see if it's still good. I bought an MSD stock replacement coil and it died on me 3 months after I got it!!! Then 2 months after, the coil wiring harness started to go hay-wire on me so I spliced it and put a new one on. Just a couple of thoughts to get your wheels turning.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:32 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when it won't run, can you check fuel pressure at the scrader valve thing on the rail.

also, has it been sitting for awhile. might have condensation in the gas tank. likely.
or rust in the fuel rail.

when it won't run, you might test for no fuel by spraying in starting fluid or a small splash of gas down the TB.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Wickedwiggles
Veteran

Alright the pump turns on and is pumping correctly no rust or moisture, the motor will run fine until I turn it off, then it won't turn back on, how do I check the tps ? and how do i adjust it the coil is good.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:14 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wickedwiggles
Alright the pump turns on and is pumping correctly no rust or moisture, the motor will run fine until I turn it off, then it won't turn back on...
That is normal. Mine does it as well. Once its "primed", so to speak, the truck turned off and then on again (or not), you won't hear it turn on again unless it sits off for a little bit.

...how do I check the tps ?...
The truck should be able to run without a TPS. Unplug the wiring harness from it, see if it solves the issue. You will obviously have severe hesitation when you give it any gas, and you will get a CEL, but it should still run and, after the hesitation, should move.

...and how do i adjust it the coil is good.
These TPSs, IIRC, are non-adjustable. They shouldn't need any adjustment, and the instructions that come with them (in the box or on the web) 99% of the time warn you not to try to adjust them as you will probably damage them.

How did you check the pump? To properly test it, you'll need a fuel pressure test kit (gauge) that is capable of reading up to or beyond 50 psi. But before you hook that up, you'll have to relieve the fuel pressure in the system somehow. The proper way is to pull the pump relay and run the truck until it dies, but you obviously can't do that if the truck won't run. Anyone have any ideas?

Quick Reply: Turns on then won't