2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tach in a non-tach dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 AM
beerett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this question might be a little off topic but i've had an aftermarket tach that i've been wanting to install for a while now but the only thing i can't figure out is where to run the RPM wire. and i dont want to just go and start splicing into wires that i dont know, so i want to figure out which wire it is forsure. anyone know?

Old 05-18-2009, 12:36 PM
fjmg
Amateur

Accoding to my 97 FSM, The tach signal is supplied by the PCM at slot c31 (I am assuming the three connectors are A, B, C) using a GY/LB (gray wire with light blue tracer) wire direct to a connector at the rear of the inst. panel. Hope this helps.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've posted this before, but i'll put it out there again. Since installing a new gauge cluster on my '99 involved some legal ramifications that made it not worth it in my opinon, I installed an aftermarket tach instead. I went with a VDO tach because it was an almost perfect match to the factory gauges, right down to the face color and the color/size/design of the needle. I mounted in my Autometer steering column gauge pod. I used to have my trans temp gauge in that pod, but I moved it down to the lower part of the dash into a double pod with a diff temp gauge. I also even picked up a green bulb cover from Autometer so that when the gauge is backlight at night, it is damn near perfect match with my factory dash lights.

I went this route because I absolutely hate how aftermarket gauges look when they don't match anything else in the truck. Just doesn't look clean in my opinion. I like everything to match, even if it is just to match the factory equipment.

Install was a breeze. For RPM, I used a solder connection on the wire coming off the coil (signal was the black wire with a brown tracer if I recall correctly), then connected a ground and a switched ignition source for power. Piece of cake. I love having a tach. It always amazed me that these trucks didn't come with one on all models.

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 06-04-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:01 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I do not have a tach in my S-10, and I would love one. I searched around on S-10 Forum.com and found a guy who takes used clusters and reprograms them to your mileage. Although I have not ordered anything from him yet, There are many people who have on S-10 Forum with good results. IDK if he could do a Dodge cluster, but it wouldnt hurt to E-Mail him.
http://myworld.ebay.com/digital_dash_solutions/

Old 05-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Diefenbaker
Rookie

I did the change from a non tach to a cluster with tach.
Mine is a 98 automatic. So i was looking at ebay for instrument clusters of the same year with nearly the same milage. Found a cheap one ordered it and swapped it. Just Plug and Play.
Tach still works fine. I don't know if the cluster for the 94-97 models are interchangeable but for 98 it is and it will work also with 99-01 models. Important to swap with a cluster of the same year.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:27 PM
fjmg
Amateur

Nice install silver dodge, I get the legalities that is why I asked, I cannot believe that you cannot transfer your speedo/odo to the replacement cluster (which is what I had hoped to do) but obviously, if you could then you guys would have. So if I understand correctly; if one gauge goes you have to change all six!! Crazy!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only way I could see how was to either:

-Have a dealership do it,
If your cluster completely fails, they can remove it and put in a new one. They program it to have the correct mileage. I checked on this option, and it was going to run about $700 for a new cluster (with tach) and the correct mileage. But this indicates that they have the ability to program the chip that comes in the new cluster. I doubt they would do it though if you brought in a used cluster and asked them to program it.

-Try to physically remove the chip that stores the odometer information on the cluster, and insert it into the new cluster. I looked on mine, and it is not a plug in chip though, looked like it was integrated into the board.

So that's why the aftermarket gauge was just a much simpler option for me.

Quick Reply: Tach in a non-tach dash