2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny surge problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 03:23 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may sound really stupid, but are you sure your throttle valve cable is properly adjusted? Having the TV cable too tight will cause the tranny to not shift until you let off the gas. What do you mean by "when 45 is hit it surges big time"? Like it's slipping?

Old 05-20-2009, 06:42 PM
xray99
Banned

Nothins stupid, CSX.
Haven't thought about linkage at all.

When it hits 45 the RPM's skyrocket, and I am forced to back off the pedal.

This all started half a year ago when I was changing a water pump. Had the radiator out for a good flushing, I then noticed a large blister on the bottom of the trans pressure hose that goes to the radiator, wasn't normally readily visible.
This hose
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ve-delete.html

Looked about ready to pop, so of course it had to be replaced, I considered myself lucky that I discovered it.
So anyways I had one hell of a time finding it, had to special order it with a 10 day wait.
While I was waiting I just rigged up a hose, after finishing with the water pump. so that I could continue to drive while waiting for the part.
Right off the bat, the surges started. I figured it was because the hose was a bit smaller in diameter, and not letting enough fluid through.
So I finally got the hose, and the problem continued.
I have no idea what caused this, before I replaced that hose the tranny was fine, every since then nothing but trouble.
Did I cause damage driving with the patch hose ?
I doubt it, but possible. It wasn't that much smaller, and it held good with no leaks.

I've since replaced the hose again, with the mod detailed in that link.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a patch hose wouldn't hurt anything unless it was leaking, thats pretty much what the check valve delete is. what will make the transmission lose its mind a little is low fluid which could be overlooked when putting a patch hose on as a quick fix.

the tv cable controls line pressure and line pressure controls when the transmission shifts, so if its out of adjustment the transmission will either shift early, late, or not at all.

my guess would be tv cable first and if that doesn't fix it then it could be the governor pressure selenoid and sensor (these should be replaced together), could be the o/d unit in the tranny or it could be the torque converter. with the o/d off the rpms run up to something like 3000 when you hit about 45mph.

the reason the governor pressure selenoids go out on these trucks so often is because they get packed with clutch dust and it inhibits the proper operation more and more until they fail.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:43 PM
catprowler
Default Tranny Surge Problems

I have a 99 2500 Quad cab 4x4 and had the same problem for several months. I just had to have the trans. rebuilt to the tune of 1300.00 and because of it being screwed up it took out the motor too. Lifter and rod knocking so looking at up to 1200.00 so be very careful.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:12 PM
ztomtog2

Does it have the stock catalytic converter? will it shift into 3rd? i had some similar problems with my 99 1500. it would ride out the rpms before shifting and i had to really play with the throttle. i took it to my buddys tranny shop and he told me it was my catalytic converter. i didnt believe that could affect the tranny at all but i went and had it cut off anyway. solved the problem. and of course the truck ran better then before i had the problem. gave it a nice sound too.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 PM
xray99
Banned

Sheriff, can rule out the gov pressure sensor and solenoid, I just put new ones in days ago.
TV cable something I will look into.

ztom, I believe the stock catalytic converter is on, I actually do have some exhaust problems as well but was waiting to fix the trans issue before getting into anything else.
As you say, hard to figure how that could effect shifting, I'll keep that in mind.

Alls I can say is when I dropped the pan, the fluid looked and smelled great, no metal shavings at all, and certainly nothing that I could see obviously out of whack, like a chaffed wire or something.

I was going to take it to this one guy to have a look, we exchanged some good emails, but when he told me I need a rebuild over the phone, without even seeing the truck, I kinda lost interest in him after that.
Maybe he is that damn good to be able to reach a conclusion like that sight unseen, pretty bad form though, I would say.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that sounds like the dealership, if you even say transmission they get in the mindset that you need a rebuild.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:14 PM
xray99
Banned

The catalytic converter theory can be discarded, had mine removed and replaced with a stock pipe/muffler today.
Exhaust had other issues, and the guy said the converter was shot, so it was something that needed to be done anyhow, but had no affect on the shifting.

Was surprised it threw no codes without the catalytic converter.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:07 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Did you check the TV cable yet? That would be the FIRST thing I would check before spending any more money on it. It only takes a few seconds to check anyway.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:28 AM
Rebhays27
Professional

I have been told in another forum that the TC could possibly not be engaging properly. Could this be true? Mine does this almost everytime I drive ina certain section of town near my work. The road has a slight grade to it nothing major but just enough it seem my truck wants to down shift if I speed up enough to hit the passing gear and pass the shift point it doesn't sure at all. What do you guys think same issues? My RPMs fluxuate almost 1000 RPMs at times most of the time about 500.

Quick Reply: Tranny surge problems