2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mysterious "miss" at idle please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009 | 12:04 PM
DodgeCrazy88

Hey no problem. Let me know what you find. I found heads on ebay brand new for 175 a peice pretty cheap compared to the dealer who wanted 800 a peice with no valves or springs included. A leak down test might help you find it too, thats what im doing today. If you don't have one harbor frieght has one for about 30 bucks, thats where i am going. Luckily my boyfriend has a live feed scanner if you can find one that helps too you can watch the miss as it happends. He is getting tired of his girlfriend using all his tools it makes him look bad lol but i don't want to spend that much on a scan tool when he has one.

"what's a deflated lifter? "

The only time i have heard the term deflated lifter is when the lifter wont build pressure anymore resulting in the push rod not opening and closing the valve.

Old 05-21-2009 | 12:49 PM
mcss8541
|
All Star

Originally Posted by DodgeCrazy88
Hey no problem. Let me know what you find. I found heads on ebay brand new for 175 a peice pretty cheap compared to the dealer who wanted 800 a peice with no valves or springs included. A leak down test might help you find it too, thats what im doing today. If you don't have one harbor frieght has one for about 30 bucks, thats where i am going. Luckily my boyfriend has a live feed scanner if you can find one that helps too you can watch the miss as it happends. He is getting tired of his girlfriend using all his tools it makes him look bad lol but i don't want to spend that much on a scan tool when he has one.

"what's a deflated lifter? "

The only time i have heard the term deflated lifter is when the lifter wont build pressure anymore resulting in the push rod not opening and closing the valve.
Cool thanks and if you have that website address for those heads I would greatly appreciate it. You said you bought a set correct? How are they? Did they come complete? Magnum heads?

Old 05-21-2009 | 01:45 PM
DodgeCrazy88

Yes they are Magnum Heads. I bought them from alliedmotorparts on ebay. The guy answered all my questions and the shipping was fast. But I wouldn't jump into buying them until you know for sure you need them. They came complete, they seem good but I'm not totally sure how they run because i am still having problems with my truck since they have been put on, but i don't think its because of the head. I will let you know though before you buy them from them cuz the problem could be in the head. They also come with a warrenty.

Old 05-21-2009 | 02:59 PM
mcss8541
|
All Star

Originally Posted by DodgeCrazy88
Yes they are Magnum Heads. I bought them from alliedmotorparts on ebay. The guy answered all my questions and the shipping was fast. But I wouldn't jump into buying them until you know for sure you need them. They came complete, they seem good but I'm not totally sure how they run because i am still having problems with my truck since they have been put on, but i don't think its because of the head. I will let you know though before you buy them from them cuz the problem could be in the head. They also come with a warrenty.
I appreciate it. I don't mind buying them cause the way I see it I'll have this truck for a while yet.

Old 05-21-2009 | 07:59 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

a lifter that won't stay filled with oil and therefore leaves "slop" in the valvetrain.

Quick Reply: Mysterious "miss" at idle please help