2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Towing Accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Steeln1500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Accident

Well, here's the story:

Sisters car was wrecked in Fort Dodge, IA. She lives in Wilton, IA. Well, I was nice and offered to tow home if she had a towing device(tow dolly, trailor). She rented a U-Haul tow dolly. Drove up there just fine. Got the tow dolly and than proceeded to pick up the car. Loaded car just fine. Got on the interstate and headed for home. Trucks running great and tow dolly is working properly. Stopped in Waterloo, IA to gas up and check everything and make adjustments to tire straps on tow dolly. Truck has only used a tank and a quarter for about 6 hours. Get about 3 miles outside of Hiawatha/Cedar Rapids, IA at exit 28 and a deer jumps out, fine, it was across before I got there. Than, couple seconds later, 2nd jumps out and STOPS in the road!!! I was like hell, this is gonna be interesting. Start to slow down and try to manuver to miss the deer. Brake lock up, great. Weight of car and tow dolly pushing my truck causes me to start skidding. I try to control the best I can at 55mph. Truck misses the deer but the tow dolly catches the deer(WHEW). But, car and tow dolly swing around and pull us into the center median. My trucks drivers rear wheel goes up on my sisters hood and we come to a stop. Well, I check to make sure everyone is ok(my fiance and my sister were with me by the way). Everyones good. We get out and review the damage and situation. All is ok other than my bumper and the tow dolly hub snapped off. Oh, also my truck being on my sisters car. Linn County Sheriffs come( about 10 of them, LITERALLY). This is a wreck involving only my truck, the tow dolly and my sisters car luckily. Cars are towed and got my truck and what not back. I was able to drive my truck home. I couldnt believe it. Drove home without a problem. I consider ourselves lucky that we were all able to walk away from the accident and able to drive my truck home. U-Haul payed the estimated repair bill of $775.75. I got $675.75 as there was a deductiblt of $100 through U-Hauls insurance. I will be repairing the bumper myself. Shouldnt cost to much

I'm sure your all tried of reading, so here's pictures of the bumper(forgot to get pics of the wreck. We made the news though...LOL)

Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, speaking as someone who's been in some insane car wrecks (usually not driving either) I'm glad to hear everyones alright. Good time to get a winch bumper.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:18 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, $675 should cover building yourself a good bumper, and some go-fast goodies....

Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that doesn't sound like a very fun time. Did you take pics of the car???

Old 05-20-2009, 12:59 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow.....exactly why is uhaul paying for it tho?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:08 AM
daragez
Rookie

thanks for sharing!...glad everyone fine...

Old 05-20-2009, 01:12 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

Why would you tow something that heavt with a bumper hitch? I'm amazed U-Haul would even rent you a dolly to pull with that thing. Every time I tried to rent anything larger than their smallest open trailer to pull with my Jeep CJ7 they said no. You should play the Lotto immediately because you are one lucky man.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:35 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami_Son
Why would you tow something that heavt with a bumper hitch? I'm amazed U-Haul would even rent you a dolly to pull with that thing. Every time I tried to rent anything larger than their smallest open trailer to pull with my Jeep CJ7 they said no. You should play the Lotto immediately because you are one lucky man.
I agree completely. Back when I had my Dakota, all it had was the bumper hitch. U-Haul refused to rent me anything but their smallest trailers as well, which won't hold crap for stuff when you are moving.

Luckily I had an uncle with a GMC 2500 only an hour away, who also happens to own a large horse trailer. That 6.0 engine is one thing GMC did do right.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:46 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
wow.....exactly why is uhaul paying for it tho?
Probably to avoid the liability for having rented a car hauler to be used with a bumper hitch.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:05 AM
Steeln1500
Rookie

Our trucks have a Class 2 bumper hitch which allows for 500lb tongue weight and up to 4000lb load. This falls in the category for their specifications for their tow dollies. I will be installing a Class 3 hitch now as I wouldn't trust that part of the frame where the bumper assembly attachs to. No, I didn't get any pics of my sisters car. I wish i would have as it would have been nice to see the accident now that I am not so worked up. I'm sure you all would have liked to see them also. As for playing the lotto, I think I used up my luck for the time being .

Quick Reply: Towing Accident